If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what best low residue dog food is, then we recommend the Nature’s Recipe Easy to Digest Dry dog food as the best one.
It is quite obvious that everyone does in fact poop.
Though as humans we get to pick and choose what we eat. Dogs are given what we decide day after day.
What they eat must come out at some point right?
Though if your pup is pooping more than you think they should, it may be the food you are feeding them.
With exceptions to medical issues, the food you feed your pooch is actually the leading cause to how frequently they go.
Now what is the best dog food for less poop you may ask? Well let’s dive into this subject and find out.
In this article, we’re going to review the following low residue dog foods :
- Merrick Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Dry Dog Food (Pork, Beef & Lamb)
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Dinner Patties Grain Free
- Natural Ultramix Grain Free Poultry Free Adult Dry
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food
- Nature’s Recipe Easy to Digest Dry Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wild Grain Free Pacific Stream – Adult Salmon
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free (Turkey & Chicken)
- Natural Balance Ultra Premium Liver Formula Wet
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Small Adult Dry Food
What Sort Of Food Make Effects In A Dog’s Poop?
There are many factors in food that affect your puppy’s poop. Fiber, protein, fats, grains, and other small factors can greatly change their business.
If there are too many fillers in their food, they will go far more often.
Grains are one of the top ingredients in most low quality dog food, though they are the least digestible of anything.
They cause your dog to poop far more often than if they had a more raw diet that they can digest with ease.
Popular Ask : How much should you feed a small breed dog?
How Fiber Plays An Important Part In Dog Poop?
Fiber is an important factor in a dog’s potty cycle.
Though too much fiber means more fillers. These fillers are often only rice hulls or even soybeans.
Too many fillers means far more frequent poop because your dog is unable to digest it.
But not enough fiber also brings its problems to the table.
It helps regulate their intestinal functions and promote a healthy stomach in the right amounts.
However, it is always wise to make sure the kind of fiber that is going into your dog’s dish every day to make sure it is good for them.
How Much Fiber Is In Dog Food?
In wild dogs’ diets, fiber only accounts for four percent of their food intake.
However, in kibble you will rarely find anything on shelf with less than fifteen percent fiber.
It often even reaches heights of near thirty percent of your dog’s diet.
This can sometimes be a bad case if the kibble has the wrong types of fiber in it.
Here are some ways to make sure your dog gets the right fiber they need in their diet.
Common Sources Of Fiber For Dog Foods
There are many common sources of fiber in dog foods.
Some are healthy and soluble in the system while some can soak water instead of dissolving.
You always want a high-fiber carbohydrates rich food for your pup, since just carbs give more calories than fiber.
- Whole Grains
- Psyllium Husk
- Beet Pulp
Benefits Of High-Fiber Dog Foods
There are many great benefits to high-fiber dog foods that would surprise you.
Not only will they feel fuller while eating less calories, they also help improve the dog’s digestive system in multiple ways
Popular Reads: 5 Ingredients To Look For When Buying Dog Food For Mastiff
# Improved Digestive Function
Fiber is able to better regulate the digestive systems functions by drawing and absorbing water down into the intestines to prevent both constipation and diarrhea.
# Improved Blood Sugar Levels
Fiber also is better at keeping your pup’s blood sugar levels stable, and it also prevents obesity and canine diabetes.
# Satisfaction with Less Calories
Fiber is used also to give your dog a fuller feeling with each meal without risk of them gaining excessive weight from a heavy meal to satisfy their hunger.
Health Conditions High-Fiber Dog Food
High-fiber dog food also can help with quite a few health conditions that your pup may suffer with.
Added to the benefits listed above, they also help with these ailments:
High-fiber promotes healthy intestinal flora that is able to prevent weight gain as well as lower weight in heavier dogs.
High-fiber also helps many forms of intestinal dysfunction.
Anal Gland Issues:
Fiber makes your dog’s poop firmer which in turn helps put pressure on the anal glands to keep them from clogging.
Since high-fiber helps regulate blood sugar levels, it is able to manage diabetes within your pup.
High-Fiber diets are helpful, and they do offer benefits and treatment for certain conditions.
However, it is always best to consult your vet if a problem is persistent even with a change of diet.
Is Too Much Poop All That Bad?
Too much poop from your dog can actually be the top sign for the quality of your dog’s diet.
If it is loaded with too many fillers, it becomes near impossible to completely digest.
This means your pup will be pottying far more often than you would wish to clean up.
The Higher The Digestibility, The Less Poop
The more your pup is able to digest, the less that comes out the other end.
Foods with higher digestibility offer your dog a richer diet that their bodies can utilize fully.
With this, less is being laid to waste with fillers.
How To Know If Your Dogs Food Has High Digestibility
Most digestible foods are based around a raw diet.
This is mainly because the ingredients are more natural than say animal parts used for filler.
However, the best way to tell if your choice of food is digestible is to look for these signs:
If your dog doesn’t need as much to feel full, it is being digested fully.
The less poop there is to pick up at the end of their potty break, the more was being utilized.
The more consistent their movements are also a very telling way to know if it’s digestible.
What Is A Low-Residue Diet? And What Should You Look For?
A low-residue diet is made of high quality and easily digestible ingredients.
It is meat to help keep your dog’s movements smaller and less frequent.
It is also a great choice for dogs with digestive problems since it is very easy for their system to break down.
The best things to look for are animal proteins, cooked fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and nutritional supplements.
This ensures that your pup is getting an overall great and balanced meal.
High Protein Content
There are many different proteins that can come in dog foods.
The best to look for are meats, poultry, fish and even eggs.
You want to have the protein as a good portion of the food as a whole.
A good bracket for percentage of protein is 18% for adults and 22% for growing puppies.
Protein is very important in a dog’s diet.
For those with digestive issues, it is always best to have more protein. However, many dogs are allergic to chicken or beef.
For these cases, it is better to look for a richer protein source such as lamb, duck, venison, and even kangaroo in certain brands.
The best way to ensure protein is the top ingredient in the food is to look at the ingredient list. They are listed in order of quantity.
If protein is the first ingredient, it is the most used in whole.
Though since it is often weighed before it’s cooked into the food, it is always best to have meat meals in addition to the dog food.
The easier the food is to digest, the better it is for your dog.
It not only keeps your dog healthy, it helps keep their movements to an all time low.
It is best to have a food with digestibility of 85% to 99%.
Some brands list the digestibility of their food on the bag, however with others you may have to contact the company to get an estimate.
Learn more: What foods can huskies not eat?
You want your dog to have a variety of healthy nutrients in their food.
From carbohydrates such as white rice, potatoes, and tapioca to fiber, fat, and healthy supplements; these all provide a rounded diet for your dog.
A Healthy Amount Of Fat
A healthy amount of fat is very important for your dog’s health.
It plays a key part in energy for them and keep many internal systems healthy.
There should always be at least 5 percent fat in adult dog food and 8 percent fat for puppy food.
Though the best target range is closer to a solid 15 percent.
A healthy amount of fat is also make for a great silky coat and irritant free skin.
Too much of a good thing is also something to be aware of.
With too much fat it can lead to excessive diarrhea and oily poop.
No one wants their dog’s stomach upset like this.
Supplements To Improve Digestion
Everyone, even dogs need supplements to keep our systems running smoothly.
Omega fatty acids and pre/probiotics should be present in your dog food for healthy and supported digestion.
It also helps keep inflammation down, which makes for one happy pooch.
Stick With Dry Kibble
There are many benefits to sticking with your run of the mill kibble.
If your dog is still young and without any dental issues, it definitely is the way to go.
Dry food is far more packed with what your dog needs, and it fills your pup’s stomach far longer than any wet food.
While a raw diet is often suggested, it comes with the need for a higher amount as well as more juices that water it down.
Popular ask : How much food should I feed my Great Dane puppy?
Be Mindful Of Quantity
No matter the food, it is always good to keep an eye on how much you are feeding your dog. It both helps with maintaining their weight and how frequently they have to poop.
Every dog needs a specific quantity of food.
Size and lifestyle play a huge part in how much you should feed them.
Like I once had a small Chihuahua who was just a lapdog.
He didn’t ever need the serving of a fully active golden retriever.
To know for sure how much you should be feeding your dog, there are guidelines on each brand of food.
It is always wise to follow this, especially if it is a nutrient rich and concentrated food.
Your pup will need less the more they are getting out of the food itself.
Foods That Contain Probiotics
Probiotics are your dog’s best friend for their digestive system.
They help stop horrible bacterias from taking root in your pup’s system as well as aid the digestive system.
It also keeps the frequency of gastrointestinal issues at a low.
Probiotics are a must have for the dogs with allergies as well since it stabilized the immune system which minimizes symptoms.
Purpose Of Low Residue Dog Foods
The purpose of a low residue diet for your dog is mostly for their health.
It is extremely digestible, which in turn leads to less frequent movements.
It also great for dogs with finicky digestive issues such as inflammatory bowel disease, nausea, and even diarrhea.
With most low quality foods being so packed with fillers, it puts a lot of stress on their system wanting to expel it as fast as it can.
A low residue diet reduces this greatly as well as keeping your dog healthy.
Popular ask : What is the best diet for a pitbull?
What to Avoid :Tips For Shopping Low Residue Dog Food
When shopping for a low residue dog food, it is best to look first for certain things.
The best thing to see on your dog’s food, besides quality ingredients, is a stamp from AAFCO stating it is a good nutrient profile for a certain age of dog.
While there are plenty of things to look for when searching, there are also some things you should really avoid.
This includes avoiding things like this:
Foods With Unidentified Or Poorly Identified Meat Meals Or By-products
A dog food that has ‘by-products’ or even mystery meats should be avoided.
The protein not only should be the top ingredient, it should be known such as Beef, Chicken, or even Salmon.
By-products are not only indigestible, they are mainly fillers that your dog will quickly be pooping out.
Foods With Artificial Colors or Flavors
Only low-quality food is seen with artificial colors or flavors.
Manufacturers do this more so that humans buy the better looking food. However, it is far from good for your pup.
There are no benefits from the artificial color or flavors and can be the leading cause of allergic reactions to the food.
Foods with Irritants and Additives
It is always best to know what is going into your dog food.
The things to watch for are irritants such as dairy, which can wreak havoc on your dog’s stomach just as it would for any lactose intolerant person.
It is also good to avoid foods loaded with preservatives, artificial colors and flavors.
They have no actually benefit for your dog, and could even be harmful.
Top Dog Foods For Less Poop
Whole Earth Farms makes their dog food with quality protein ingredients such as chicken, turkey, pork, beef, lamb, salmon, whitefish, turkey, and even duck.
It is also packed with nutrients for your dog, making it a great low residue food.
With ingredients such as salmon oil, potatoes, blueberries and peas, your pup will definitely be jumping to get a bite from the scoop every meal time.
- Your dog’s poop decreases in volume, while still maintaining a healthy amount.
- It also helps bring a shine to your dog’s coat.
- Smaller portions are eaten since it is a very filling food.
- Purina has bought out the company, which has been a spark of some bad batches.
- This brand may not be for every dog with sensitive stomachs or skin allergies.
These dinner patties are a dog’s favorite treat.
They come in all sorts of different proteins for your dog to try; beef, chicken, duck, lamb, pheasant, rabbit, venison, and surf & turf.
It also has plenty of fruit and veggies packed into the patties, making them highly nutritious.
You can’t really go wrong here since they are processed very minimally and easily digestible.
- Since it is very digestible, the frequency your dog poops will go down.
- It also helps freshen your pup’s breath.
- If your dog has many allergies to grains, this near raw diet would be perfect for them.
- It is very versatile in use; you can feed them to your dog as rehydrated paties, dried crumbles onto kibble, or as treats.
- They can come very crumbled, making it hard to give in proper servings.
- The brand is very expensive, so if you have a larger dog, it may not be a great financial option.
With a high protein content with quality ingredients such as salmon, herring, and menhaden fish meal, your dog is getting a great meal.
The fish not only provides great meat, it also has a good boost of omega fatty acids and antioxidants.
You can also see the added fruit and vegetables added right into the food instead of cooked into the kibble.
Another great feature is the use of tapioca starch and potatoes as the fiber, which in turn makes it highly digestible.
- It has quality ingredients that you can see in the bowl with the kibble.
- A meal of this is highly digestible which means less waste after.
- This food is made for dogs with allergies to grains and poultry.
- Some dogs have a hard time digesting the vegetables within the food.
- For dogs with severely sensitive stomachs, this may not quite be for them.
I have often seen Hill’s Science Diet in the vet clinics I have gone to.
This recipe is made specifically for dogs with digestive issues.
It comes free of additives, and it even has a natural preservative that won’t harm your dog’s system.
It is packed with quality ingredients, one being brewers rice which greatly helps the digestibility.
- This formula helps regulate your dog and even produces less waste.
- It also adds the benefit of better skin and a shinier coat.
- The blend is very filling, allowing your dog to eat less and still be full.
- With chicken being a leading allergen in dog foods, this brand may not be the best for your allergic pup.
- The quality of the food varies at times when delivered; it may be best to buy more locally to ensure it is fresh.
Nature’s Recipe is a great brand that takes great nutrition for your dog seriously.
There are many formulas that they make for very specific needs.
The Easy to Digest recipe is a low residue and grain free option with fish meal and potatoes.
Fish is its top protein with a very high concentration of 21 percent.
There is also a fat content of 10 percent.
This blend is made to be easily digestible, even having added prebiotics to help the digestive system work properly.
- The brand avoids ingredients that are frequent allergens in dog foods such as corn or beef.
- It is really helpful for dogs with sensitive stomachs since it doesn’t have many irritants in the formula.
- The recipe isn’t for every dog, with some even turning their nose up at it.
While Blue Buffalo has four main lines of food, the Wilderness line is packed with protein and more natural ingredients.
This formula of food is made to give your dog a taste of what their wild brothers eat.
Since it is both filled with protein and free of any grains, it is a great low residue brand to go for.
They avoid many allergens such as corn, wheat, soy, and chicken by-product meals.
However, they ensure that it is packed with rich vitamins and minerals to keep your dog as healthy as can be.
- The recipe promotes a strong and lean build for any dog.
- It is free of common allergens that upset a dog’s stomach.
- The formula is more natural than most kibble brands on market.
- This brand does contain chicken recipes, which is a leading allergen in dog food.
- Buying online can sometimes lead to a bad bag or two.
- Even though it is a top quality food, not all dogs enjoy it.
Taste of the Wild dog food offers a diet for you dog similar to their ancestors.
With a high level of protein at 32 percent and a low fiber content of 4%, this really rings true. It offers all the nutrients your dog could need.
Taste of the Wild offers exactly what its name implies.
With such meats as bison and salmon, your dog will eat similar to their wolf brothers.
It’s also packed with quality ingredients such as sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, lentils, tomatoes, blueberries, and plenty of healthy supplements and vitamins to leave your pup feeling their best.
- With less fiber content, your dog’s poop will be more solid and less frequent.
- Since it has less fillers, your pup will be far less gassy.
- It is a great diet for sensitive dogs, even helping with allergy issues.
- This brand meets AAFCO nutrient profiles for adult dogs.
- For some extremely picky eaters, this food may get a nose turn from your pup.
- The quality is best if bought local instead of online.
Wellness Core Natural is a great treat for dogs of all shapes and sizes.
It is packed with protein and completely grain-free.
Another great thing about this brand is that it is very nutrient dense with probiotics as well to promote a healthy digestive system.
It is also absolutely natural with no wheat, corn, soy, meat, by-products, artificial colors/flavors, or preservatives.
- The higher fiber content helps moves your dog’s digestion along smoothly.
- Most picky eaters are happy to chow down on this formula.
- It helps wonderfully with dogs that have sensitive skin.
- It does come with poultry proteins which could upset sensitive dogs stomachs.
- There are instances where online purchases result in bad quality food.
Natural Balance Ultra is a wet food packed with nutrients necessary for your dog.
It includes wholesome oat bran, brown rice, and potatoes to help for a smooth digestion.
It is also completely free of artificial flavors and colors.
If you have an older dog with bad teeth, or even just want a wet food for your pup, this would be the best choice for you.
- The food is easy to eat and digest for older dogs with slower digestion.
- The liver flavor is a favorite by most dogs.
- It is very easy to digest for all dogs since it has a great fiber content.
- It is very crumbly and can be pretty sticky instead of the usual smooth texture of most wet foods.
- For dogs with sensitive stomachs, this food has a chance to upset it.
Royal Canin Size Health comes in many different formulas for every shape and size and even breed.
It is perfected for each type of dog from labrador to dachshund and everything in between.
It is a great way to maintain a healthy weight for any size. It is a great high fiber food for your dog that truly helps with digestion.
I know when I was looking for a brand specific to my older terrier back in the day, I would have loved to know of Royal Canin to keep his little tummy smaller than it was.
- It also comes with proper levels of Epa and Dha that benefits the coat and skin.
- It is great for even the pickiest of eaters.
- The fiber and nutrients in the food help bulk up your dog’s poop for easier passing.
- It has a lot of filler compared to other brands because of a higher fiber diet.
- Chicken is also a product in this food, which is a leading allergen for many dogs.
- Royal Canin does not contain probiotics within their blends.
Out of the eight brands listed above, my favorite would have to be the Nature’s Recipe Easy to Digest dog food.
Compared to the other products, it has very little wrong with it except a picky eater or two.
There is not much to look down upon since it is a rich meal that specifically targets digestion.
When looking at what should be in your dog’s food and how it may affect their poop, it really stands up to the list.
It is packed with rich protein and has a great amount of fat to it.
Another great thing about this brand is that it has no fillers found in common kibble.
I know what I will be switching my dog to here soon.
Other Puppy Food Related Topics
1. Best Dog Food To Reduce Pooping
2. Best Wet & Dry Dog Foods For Older – Senior Dogs
3. Best Dog Food For Corgis (Puppy & Adult) : Dry & Canned
4. Best Dog Food For Border Collies
5. Best Dog Food For German Shepherd
6. Puppy Feeding Schedule: The Ultimate Guide