It is no secret that high quality canine food is important for any dog to live a long, happy, and healthy life. That being said, not every brand of dog food is good for your Labradoodle pup.
I am a firm believer that dog food should be transparent – not in color, but in ingredients. If you are unable to pronounce any of the ingredients, leave it on the shelf. When it comes to Labradoodle puppies or even adults, quality proteins, and good sources of fat and carbs are key.
Top quality Labradoodle dog foods are not hard to find, but there are some important considerations to make before doing so.
In this article, we’re going to review the following dog foods for Labradoodles:
- ACANA Regionals Protein Rich, Real Meat, Grain-Free, Adult Dry Dog Food
- Purina Beyond Grain Free Wet Dog Food
- Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Raw Stella’s Super Beef Meal Mixers Grain-Free Dog Food
- Purina Pro Plan SPORT Formula Dry Dog Food
- “I and love and you” Naked Essentials Dry Dog Food
- Earthborn Holistic Venture Grain Free Dry Dog
- Eukanuba Fit Body Weight Control Large Breed Dry Dog Food
- Castor & Pollux Pristine Protein Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance Ultra Premium Wet Dog Food
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dry Dog Food
- The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food
- Open Farm Grain-Free Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free, Natural Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Nature’s Recipe Grain Free Puppy Dry Dog Food
- Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Puppy Dog Food
Nutritional Requirements Of Labradoodles
A good dog food will be balanced in protein, amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates. Labradoodles are large breed dogs, which means they need lots of nutrients in order to grow properly.
Because this breed is a mix of Labrador and Poodle, two dogs susceptible to hip dysplasia, it is vital that they are nourished by their foods.
High Protein Is Needed in Labradoodle’s Food
On any large breed dog food, Protein is a necessity, but a high-value source is the most important. Let’s take a look at some of the best protein sources, such as eggs, fish, duck, beef, and cheese.
Essentially, you want natural protein sources over fake ones, like by-products or corn gluten. Cheap proteins will fill your dog up for a short time, but may cause stomach upset.
Labradoodles will benefit from high-value protein sources in appropriate amounts.
Why Fats Are Important Labradoodle’s Diet?
Typically, you want to ensure your adult Labradoodle dog foods contain 10-15% fat. Good sources of fat to look for are fresh salmon, salmon oil, flaxseeds, peanut butter, eggs, vegetable oil, and even fatty beef.
Quality fats will keep your dog’s skin and coat shiny and heart healthy. Therefore, never skimp on the fats in your dog’s diet. You can even supplement with dog treats that have high fat content, like salmon skin sticks or peanut butter treats.
Are Carbohydrates Essential For Labradoodles?
Not all carbohydrates are made equally, especially in dog food. Ideal sources are oats, barley, peas, lentils, beans, potato, and sweet potato.
Labradoodles may be susceptible to digestive upset due to eating poor sources of grain or too much wheat, therefore, choose quality sources as those listed above.
Carbs are a necessity to sustain energy levels.
What Minerals Are Helpful For Labradoodles?
Calcium, magnesium, sodium, chloride, potassium, iron and zinc are just some of the key minerals large breed dogs need to live a healthy life.
For Labradoodles, calcium is needed to build strong bones. Magnesium is important for digesting fats and carbs as well as maintaining a healthy heart. And iron and zinc are essential for a strong immune system.
Things To Consider While Buying Labradoodle Dog Food
First, you must consider your own Labradoodle dog’s needs.
- Do they require a certain diet, like wheat free?
- Or, are they overweight and need a low-calorie dog food option?
Next, you can consider wet or dry dog food, as well as type of protein in the canine food.
Wet, Dry, Or Raw What Food Should I Feed My Labradoodle?
Every pooch has a preference for either wet, dry, or raw food options. Wet dog food has a higher water content. Dry dog food is like kibble which is good for cleaning teeth, and raw dog foods are pure nutrients and soft texture.
The best way to find out what kind of food your Labraddodle prefers is to give them a sample of each.
That being said, dry dog food is generally cheap, wet food comes in second place, and raw dog food is rather expensive. While it is important to purchase what your dog likes, it is also important to consider your own budget.
Consider The Energy Levels Of Your Labradoodle Dog
Labradoodles are active mutts that need proper amounts of nutrients. The more exercise your large breed pup does the more it will need to eat.
Senior dogs who are typically less active will require less foods.
When it comes to figuring out how much your dog needs, always read the label on the can or bag of dog food, as it will give you a recommendation per body weight, age, and activity level.
Consider Your Your Labradoodle’s Size And Weight
Not all Labradoodles are the same size and weight, of course. The ideal size and weight of a Labradoodle is 22 to 24 inches tall and 50 pounds.
Canines that are growing will require more dog food to reach their goal weight, while those who are on the heavier side will require less food to shed some unwanted pounds.
Large breed puppies grow fast and therefore need all the high-quality nutrients they can get.
Labradoodle’s Health Conditions And Allergies
Labradoodles are susceptible to several health conditions and allergies. Some of the most common conditions are hip and elbow dysplasia, epilepsy, ear infections, Addison disease, and wheat allergies.
All of these things in mind, you want to look for food that nourishes the entire body inside and out; it is also important to note that each pup is susceptible to different conditions.
Specific Needs Depending On Breed
Labradoodles are hypo-allergenic dogs, thanks to being part poodle. This breed needs balanced protein to maintain muscle growth, adequate fat to sustain energy. And high-quality carbohydrates to prevent indigestion and commonly related skin allergies.
Labradoodles need lots of exercise, especially in their younger years. Therefore, exercising them lots and refuelling and replenishing their burned energy is key with food.
Suitable Kibble Size For Labradoodles
Have you ever wondered if kibble is all the same size? Well, it is in fact not. There is a small kibble, medium kibble, and even a large kibble size. Roughly, it can range from seven to sixteen millimetres.
Labradoodles are considered a medium to large size breed, and would enjoy medium to large size kibble.
If your dog has any teeth or gum issues, smaller kibble may be best.
Your Labradoodle’s Age
Once a Labradoodle pup hit 7 or 8 years, many dog owners consider them senior. That being said, just because a dog is senior does not mean they are feeble.
Most Labradoodles can remain highly active until 10 years. That is possible if you feed your Labradoodle good quality foods and give them lots of love.
Food labels will always give a recommendation on how much food to feed your dogs depending on its age. Always consider both age and activity before deciding how much your pup needs.
Pick An Affordable Dog Food For Your Labradoodle
You want to find a food that does not break the bank. Feeding raw food is a little expensive. Kibble and wet dog food remain the most affordable.
I recommend getting a sample of raw, kibble, and wet and seeing what your furry friend enjoys most. Once you find out what your Labradoodle prefers, you can find an affordable, healthy brand for your puppy.
Popular Read: Can Dogs Eat Lobster Tail?
Best Dog Food For Adult Labradoodles
The ACANA dry dog food is nutrient packed with grass-fed lamb, free-run quail, and freshwater trout; only the finest of ingredients are in this mix.
70% of the mixture is high quality meat and the remaining is vegetable. Feeding this to your Labradoodle means, they get the perfect balance of fibrous veggies and protein-rich meat in every bite.
Instead of using fillers like potato and tapioca, ACANA uses vegetables and fruits.
One of the best things about ACANA is they source their ingredients locally, ensuring all ingredients are fresh and even farm-to-table.
- Crunchy kibble cleans teeth.
- Premium ingredients.
- Ideal food for dogs of any age.
- WholePrey ingredients are comparable to what dogs would find in the wild.
- Limited to 25 pounds as largest bag’
Purina Beyond Grain Free has made a delicious chicken, carrot, and pea recipe. It is made with zero corn, wheat or soy, and no by-product meals. Premium chicken is the first ingredient. So, feeding this to your Labradoodle means, your dog can enjoy the true meaty taste.
This is a great option for large breed pup’s who are sensitive to grains. There are real vegetable pieces in this wet food mixture, which add a great texture and taste to the meal.
Moreover, Purina has guaranteed that all ingredients are traceable.
- Real meat and vegetable recipe.
- Great taste and texture.
- Grain-free wet dog food.
- Some dogs may be sensitive to chicken.
- Does not contain added omega 3’s or 6’s for coat and heart health.
Stella & Chewy’s Meal Mixers are perfect food toppers to any meal. They are made in small batches, and only crafted with organic fruit and veggies, as well as top quality USA meat.
They add a boost of nutrition for picky Labradoodle pups. This recipe is made with chicken that is 95% cage-free chicken, organs, and bone.
You can confidently feed your Labradoodle dog this because it contains no added hormones, dyes, or artificial preservatives.
It is super simple to prepare and serve, all you have to do is scoop, mix and dish out.
- Natural and delicious.
- Great for picky eater or dogs who need a nutrition boost.
- Variety of meat flavors available: beef, chicken, turkey and seafood.
- Easy to prepare and pack for vacations or road trips.
- Limited sizes: 3.5 ounce, 8 ounce, 18 ounce, and 35 ounce.
- Not a whole meal.
Active Labradoodles need lots of protein and sustenance from their food. Purina Pro Plan Sport Formula is made of 30% protein and 20% fat, making this a nicely balanced meal.
The first ingredient is 100% chicken, as well as important antioxidants and glucosamine to support immune systems and bones.
This brand is ideal for dogs who spend lots of time exercising, as it will provide them with protein packed calories that will replenish tired muscles.
The low-fat content of this dog food makes this a great option for mutts who need to shed some pounds, or senior canines who need to keep weight off.
- Relatively affordable.
- Packed with amino acids, EPA and glucosamine for muscles.
- Provides antioxidants.
- Tasty, real meat flavor.
- Available in a variety of bag sizes, such as 6 lb., 18 lb., 37 lb., 48 lb., and 50 lb.
- Limited meat variety.
- Does contain corn and gluten meal, which may upset some sensitive stomachs.
Another great product from I and Love and You, this recipe is made with chicken and duck. It contains absolutely zero fillers, by-product meals, and any other questionable ingredients.
What is notable about this recipe is it has added prebiotics and probiotics, as well as adequate amounts of omega 3’s and 6’s in the form of flaxseeds and fish oils. This means your Labradoodle pup is getting heart healthy nutrients that will also keep their curly coat looking shiny and soft.
- Very affordable.
- Great meat varieties, such as lamb, chicken, duck, salmon, and trout.
- Packed full of vitamins.
- Crunchy heart-shaped kibble cleans teeth.
- Does contain chicken and turkey meal, which some owners may not like.
- Largest bag is 40 lbs.
Natural and nourishing are just two words to describe this Earthborn Holistic Venture Dry Dog Food. You can feed this to your Labradoodle, because this is made with Alaska Pollock meal and a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
The dry doggy food mixture offers 26% protein and 13% fat. That makes it one of the best fooding options for active pups. For senior canines who need to monitor their weight, this is a great food to feed as well .
This grain-free dog food is also easily digestible thanks to ingredients like pumpkin and flaxseed.
What I love the most about this brand is the bag contains 30% plant-based plastic, created from renewable and sustainable Brazilian sugarcane ethanol – how cool is that? You can feel good about buying this dog food!
- Relatively affordable.
- Great meat options such as Pollock, pork, rabbit, squid, duck, and turkey.
- Jam packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Great for dogs who suffer from skin sensitivities and allergies.
- No colors or fillers.
- Fish is sourced from responsible fisheries.
- Biggest bag size 25 pounds.
- Kibble size may be on the larger size for some dog’s mouths.
Labradoodles that are inactive may struggle with gaining weight. And therefore benefit from a high protein and low-fat diet.
Eukanuba’s Active Advantage dog food contains 27% less fat than other recipes, as well as containing adequate levels of protein. The unique blend of animal protein with glucosamine and chondroitin keeps muscles and joints lubricated and healthy.
This recipe also has DHA and vitamin E, and they work to promote brain health. This is definitely a food you can feed to your Labradoodle pup throughout all of his or her life stages.
- First ingredient is chicken.
- Healthy ratio of protein to fat.
- Promotes a lean body.
- Fuels mind and body.
- Limited meat variety; mainly chicken.
- Only two bag sizes available: 15 lb. and 30 lb.
Created with grass-fed beef as the first ingredient, this kibble plus freeze dried raw bites blend is tasty and nourishing. Labradoodles love true meaty taste, but not all brands deliver it.
Castor & Pollux have crafted a delicious recipe that uses real beef, no grains, and hearty sweet potato. The mixture of kibble and freeze dried raw bites give your mutt the crunchy texture with a refreshing bite of real meat.
This dog food works to clean your canines’s teeth and the real meat provides fresh, natural nutrients.
- Relatively affordable.
- No artificial preservatives, dyes, or flavors.
- True meat taste that dogs love.
- Grain free.
- Ingredient list is short.
- Largest bag available is 10 pounds
- Currently limited in meat flavors, only beef available
Natural Balance Ultra Premium dog food recipe is made with beef as the first ingredient, potatoes, carrots, brown rice, and a mixture of vitamins and minerals.
There are absolutely no artificial flavors or dyes, so you can feel good about giving your Labradoodle his or her meal. The added vitamins and easy to digest vegetables make digestion easier.
Moreover, the added omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids ensure your pup’s fur is soft and shiny. The soft texture of the food is also easy for young and old dogs to chew.
- Comes in 12 cans.
- High-quality ingredients.
- Each batch receives 9 safety tests.
- Keeps dogs skin and coat healthy.
- Only able to purchase in amounts of 12 cans.
- Limited can size available: 6 oz. and 13 oz.
Royal Canin’s Large Adult Food recipe is made with chicken by-product meal, rice, natural flavors, and fish oil. It offers enough calories for active dogs, but appropriate protein to fat ratios for senior dogs who need to manage their weight.
Crude protein levels are at 24%, fat is at 15%, and fiber is 3.3%.
The kibble shape is nice and round, almost resembling a meatball. Additionally, it has a chewy but slightly crunchy texture, and great meaty taste to it.
- Encourages easy digestion.
- Keeps bones, joints, and skin in top shape.
- Delicious meat flavor.
- Made with by-products.
- Fiber content is low.
This kibble based food is like no other… it is covered in gravy! This brand of food is baked in small quantities to ensure freshness, and only made with fresh, local farm-raised meat and veggies.
In fact, the first ingredient is real meat, either chicken or beef. The protein content of this Baked and Saucy recipe is 28%, a fairly good ratio for active Labradoodles.
It is also crafted with zero grains and adequate pre & probiotics. This recipe is slow baked for ultimate deliciousness and nutrition.
- Coated with a tasty bone broth, for great taste and nourishment.
- Very affordable.
- No GMO protein or vegetables.
- Zero artificial preservatives.
- Keeps tummies happy thanks to pre and pro biotics.
- Limited size availability.
- Limited meat sources, only beef and chicken.
What I love most about The Honest Kitchen, is that their food is human grade and human quality. Dogs are family and deserve to be fed as such.
The chicken in this recipe is free-range, and there are absolutely zero by-products or preservatives in this food. The ingredients are fresh and easy to digest, which will leave your pup feeling happy, healthy, and satisfied after eating.
All you have to do to prepare it is add water according to the label instructions and serve.
- Relatively affordable.
- 100% pure and natural ingredients.
- Human grade food.
- Delicious, real meat flavor and texture.
- Dehydrated food allows for ultimate nourishment.
- Not grain-free
- Must purchase in small quantities. Largest bag size is 10 pounds.
Open Farm Grain-Free Dog Food is made with locally grown humane salmon. The meat used in their recipes are always antibiotic free and never rendered.
The great thing about this brand of food and recipe is that it is high in meat protein but low in carbs. This means, your pup is filling up on the good stuff and not on the bad stuff.
Additionally, ingredients like non-GMO pumpkin and coconut oil keeps fur sleek and shiny, as well as the digestive tract working with ease.
- Made with 100% high quality meat.
- Created with added vitamins and minerals.
- Easy to digest.
- Grain free.
- Limited bag availability; currently on 4.5 lb bags available.
This Taste of the Wild Recipe is made with premium roasted or smoked meat, fish, or fowl. A quick scan of the ingredient list and one will notice the first ingredient is buffalo.
Other great elements of this food is it is made with ancient grains like sorghum and quinoa, pasture-raised meat, probiotics, omega fatty acid blend, and tons of antioxidants.
What I love most about this brand of food is it nourishes your pup from the inside out. The kibble size can be compared to a peanut or small candy size; it is perfect for small, medium, and large breeds.
- Relatively affordable.
- Delicious real meat taste.
- High in protein; perfect for active Labradoodles.
- Packed with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Available in 5 lb, 14 lb, and 28 lb bags.
- Grain free and Ancient Grain options.
- Limited diverse meat ingredients.
- Kibble may be too crunchy for senior dogs’ teeth and gums.
Protein rich kibble and freeze-dried raw pieces come together to make this delicious, hearty meal. The mixture of kibble and raw has many benefits, such as kibble cleaning the teeth and raw providing barely processed nutrients.
Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe offers important antioxidants, probiotics, and omegas. This means, your pup’s entire body is nourished. Probiotics promote digestive health, omegas keep the coat and heart healthy, and antioxidants to keep the immune system strong.
The great taste of this recipe, as well as the chewy and meaty texture will keep your dog coming back for more every time.
- Relatively affordable.
- Easy to serve.
- High protein content.
- Nourishes the entire body.
- Great texture keeps food exciting.
- First ingredient is beef.
- Currently, the 20-pound bag is the largest size available.
- Some batches may contain lower ratios of kibble to freeze dried pieces.
Best Dog Foods for Labradoodle Puppies
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Puppy Food comes with Chicken is crafted with deboned chicken, chicken meal, and fish meal. These three sources of meat provide your growing puppy with 30% per serving.
What I think is great about this recipe is the added fruits like blueberries and cranberries for antioxidant and urinary tract support. Moreover, it provides DHA & ARA for eye and brain development.
Blue Wilderness’ crunchy but easy to chew kibble texture works to remove stubborn plaque and tartar on puppy teeth.
- Cold-formed to conserve potency of kibble.
- 24 lb. bag is the largest available.
- Small-bite kibble.
- Does contain chicken and fish meal, which some owners may not like.
This Nature’s Recipe made with chicken, sweet potato, and pumpkin is advertised to support eye and brain development thanks to the added DHA. It is free of grains, soy protein, and artificial flavors or preservatives.
The recipe is easy to digest for sensitive puppy tummies, as well as a high-quality protein source for growing muscles. Some of the main things I like best about this food is it offers adequate calcium, fiber, copper, and magnesium.
With these things in your pup’s food, he or she will be getting all the necessary vitamins.
- No added artificial flavors, colors, corn, wheat, soy, and poultry by-product meal.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient.
- Largest size bag is 12 lbs.
- Synthetic form of Vitamin K instead of natural.
Purina ONE SmartBlend Wet Puppy Food is made with real lamb, offering a great meaty taste your puppy will love. The wet food texture is easy to chew, and contains no by-products or artificial flavors. It is essential for young puppies to get all the important nutrients they need to grow up strong, and this recipe contains many important ones.
For example, antioxidants to promote a strong immune system, and omega fatty acids to allow their coat to grow soft and silky.
- Contains no nasty ingredients.
- Easy to chew texture.
- Long grain rice adds necessary fiber to promote healthy digestion.
- Natural source of glucosamine for happy, healthy joints.
- Largest can is 13 oz.
- Slightly expensive per can compared to other leading brands.
Pedigree knows that your puppy needs special nutrition to grow properly. That is why they designed this recipe with nutrients that are similar to mother’s milk.
There are three main things to highlight with this product, which is no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors, and no added sugar. This option targets four main puppy growth areas: oral health, immunity, digestion, and skin & fur.
With real chicken, carrots, peas, and other essential vitamins and minerals, your Labradoodle pup is getting what it needs during each meal.
- Currently available in a bonus size: 4 lbs. more for free.
- Hearty and crunchy kibble texture and taste.
- Cleans puppy teeth while nourishing.
- Some puppies are allergic to chicken.
- No in between size from 16 lbs. to 36 lbs.
- Does contain corn as a first ingredient.
Canidae Grain-Free Puppy Chicken Formula is made with only 7 main ingredients. This means, you can feel good about feeding your pup this recipe.
The first ingredient is real meat, either salmon duck, turkey, chicken, or mackerel, and in this case, chicken. Moreover, the ingredients are cooked in broth to add a salty, meat flavor. The texture is that of a pate, rather than a stew.
This food is perfect for tiny puppy teeth, and will nourish from the inside out.
- Comes in a convenient pack of 12
- Wholesome, limited ingredients
- High-protein ingredients for strong muscles and a healthy heart
- Slightly expensive
- Some puppies may prefer a more chunkier texture than pate style
Chef Rachael Ray has created her Bright Puppy recipe using 100% farm-raised USA chicken as the first ingredient. Brown rice, peas, carrots, and beet pulp follow chicken on the list, as these things encourage optimal digestion, protein to promote muscle growth, and fish meal that provides DHA for brain development.
The size of the kibble is perfect, and almost resembles small nuggets.
What I like the most about this recipe is the added wholesome grains, to ensure that your puppy has healthy digestion and ideal stools.
- Delicious taste
- Added vitamins and fruits and vegetables for optimal nutrition
- Small ingredient list
- 14 lb. is the largest size
- Not grain-free and could upset some tummies
Did You Find Dog Food for Your Labradoodle Today?
After reviewing these amazing brands of food today, were you able to find one you like?
I know how hard it can be to find a high-quality, delicious food that nourishes your pup and also does not break the bank. Hopefully, with some of these suggestions, you can make the decision easier.
Now, it is time to announce the winner…The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food. I chose this winner because it is made with free-range chicken, hearty vegetables, it is easily digestible and full of amazing, fresh nutrients.
This food is human-grade and the dehydration process preserves all of the vitamins and minerals.
Additionally, it is relatively affordable for what you get. It is important to find a clean, affordable, and nourishing food for your Labradoodle, and this food fulfills all of those requirements.
Other Dog Food-Related Topics
1. Can Dogs Eat Edamame?
2. 37 Cupcake Recipes For Dogs
3. Puppy Feeding Schedule: The Ultimate Guide
4. Best Dog Foods For Pitbulls
5. Can Dogs Eat All Types Of Radishes? What You Need To Know!
6. Can Dogs Eat Cat Food?
7. Best Dog Food For Giant Breeds
8. Best Dog Food To Reduce Pooping
9. Best Dog Food For Great Pyrenees
10. Best Dog Food For Husky (Siberian & MIX)
11. How To Choose The Right Food For Your Dog?