Best Budget Dog Food
320 Calories per cup
Min 7.9% Protein
Min 5.5% Fat
Max 0.9% Fiber
Max 74.7% Moisture
Best Overall Weight Gainer Dog Food
423 Calories per cup
Min 29% Crude Protein
Min 17% Crude Fat
Min 2.45% Omega-6
Min 1.3% Omega-3
If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what’s the best high-calorie dog food for weight and muscle gain, then we recommend the Hungry Bark’s Turkey and Duck or Salmon Recipe as the best one.
As a dog long-time owner, I always make sure to pay attention to the top high-calorie dog foods my puppies are eating. The ideal weight for a dog depends on its breed, and it can be difficult to establish a healthy weight.
However, ensuring your dog is eating enough is very important as it means they are healthy and thriving.
Most of my dogs struggled to gain weight because of their breed, so I’ve made it my mission to gather resources on the best dog food brands to gain weight and muscle.
I hope to help others with their dog’s weight gain and management and am so excited to share knowledge on this important topic.
Our 3 Best Dog Food to Get Weight and Muscles
Hungry Bark’s Turkey and Duck recipes are nutritiously packed kibbles filled with everything your dog needs. The first three ingredients are turkey, duck, and turkey meal which are all great sources of protein to help your dog gain weight and muscle.
This kibble also has sweet potato and pumpkin added in to help with your dogs digestion, and it is even packed full of vitamins and probiotics. Made with natural ingredients and real meat, it is made to please even the pickiest of eaters.
All around, this food is great for active dogs as well as seniors. If you are looking to help your dog gain some weight or muscle, this recipe is a good filling meal for your pup.
- Top three ingredients are turkey, duck and turkey meal
- Packed with vitamins and probiotics
- Sweet potato and pumpkin to boost your dog’s digestive system
- Full balanced meal for any stage of your dog’s life
- A bit more expensive compared to some other kibble recipes
PetPlate’s Barkin’ Beef Recipe is great for helping your dog bulk up in weight and muscle. This fresh wet food is packed with all sorts of vitamins and protein.
The very first ingredient is ground beef followed by sweet potatoes, potatoes, some veggies, and even apple, giving your dog a very hearty meal to fill their stomachs. With all these delicious human-grade ingredients, it can definitely please the pickiest of eaters.
This beef entree can be used as a stand alone or you can even add it as a topper for your pooch’s kibble. PetPlate even offers customers to buy an affordable plan if their dog falls in love with the taste.
- Made with human-grade protein, fruit, and veggies formulated by a veterinary nutritionist
- Affordable options with meal plans for entrees or meal toppers
- Great for active dogs due to its high protein and no grain formula
- Since the food is a fresh food and not canned, you will need the freezer space to store it
- More expensive than basic kibble options
Is your dog underweight? If yes, then you may want Bully Max High Performance Super Premium. This dry dog food maximizes the growth of your pup. His muscles will ripple from under his coat. There is no way that the word puny will ever refer to your Fido.
It offers 535 calories per serving. That’s far higher than many canine foods on the market. The 5-star rated high performance dry canine food provides 30% protein and 20% beneficial fats. The long ingredient list makes sure this puppy food contains no corn, wheat or soy.
What I like most- it is a meat based formula with prime natural ingredients. Great for all life stages from 4 weeks to above. A wonderful addition in our list to gain lean muscle mass specially for underweight dogs.
- Pure meat based formula.
- Full of vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
- It builds lean muscles on your dog.
- It is easy to digest.
- Increases endurance and speed in your dog.
- Not for canines with sensitive stomachs.
- A bit expensive.
In this article, we’re going to review more high-calorie dog foods like:
- Pedigree Adult Food Roasted Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Flavor
- Purina ONE SmartBlend True Instinct Grain-Free Formula
- Taste of The Wild Premium High Protein – Roasted Bison and Venison
- WholeHearted Grain Free All Life Stages Food
- Ziwi Peak Gently Air-Dried New Zealand, Lamb Recipe, Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Adult Dog Lamb Meal & Rice Formula
- Royal Canin Breed Health Nutrition Bulldog Adult Dry Canine Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food, Adult, Large Breeds, & Barley Recipe
- Natural Balance Ultra Premium Canned Dog Food, Beef Formula
- Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Beef and Chicken Grill Adult Wet Dog Food
More 15 High-Calorie Weight and Muscles Gaining Adult Dog Foods
Looking for a special canine food that will put some weight and muscle on your pooch?
Well, Pedigree Senior Dog Food Roasted Chicken, Rice, and Vegetable Flavor is just the brand of puppy food you need. The tasty chicken flavor will give your adult dog enjoyment while at the same time the nutrients will be developing your dog’s body.
Eating Pedigree dry dog food will help your dog to gain weight and develop strong muscles. The skin and coat of your dog will be so healthy and shiny that you will spend time hugging your dog instead of worrying about him scratching it all the time.
Many dog lovers have chosen Pedigree over other pup food the world over. It is sold internationally.
- Pedigree is 100% complete and balanced Fido food.
- Roasted chicken is the first ingredient.
- Your older dog’s skin will become healthy and his coat very shiny.
- The neighbors will admire your dog’s muscles.
- Pedigree guarantees healthy digestion for your dog.
- Pedigree Adult Dog Food contains no high fructose corn syrup, no artificial flavors, and no added sugars.
- As with any canine food for weight gain brands, some reviews claim that this food upset the dog’s stomach causing choking and vomiting.
- A few reviews say the buyer found ants in the bag upon delivery.
This older dog food will help your pooch to build strong muscles and a gradual gaining of healthy weight. The taste of chicken will bring out the meat lover in your Fido. This blend is easily digested by your fury friend while at the same time maintaining your senior dog’s healthy joints.
Purina ONE premium offers 100% balanced nutrition for your dog’s entire body with a taste your dog will love. This is a proven formula that will have your dog so energized that you will become tired on one of your daily walks.
Burglars will turn away at night when they discover that your dog is awake and on the watch for any trespassers at night.
- The dog will gain energy and vitality.
- Complete and balanced nutrition.
- Gain weight and lean muscles.
- Good joint support for your dog.
- Easily digested.
- As with any of the canine food for weight gain brands, some reviews claim this food is not good for Labradoodles as it gives them red spots under the eyes and between the toes. There may be some red dye in the product.
- Some reviewers claim that their dog lost his usual energy, and eventually stopped eating.
- This bag of dry pet food can only be shipped within the United States of America.
Is your wild one becoming lazy and skinny? Are you wondering if there is something you can do? Try a bag of High Prairie Canine Recipe with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison. This dry dog food will bulk up your pooch’s body in a healthy and muscular way.
There will no longer be a Fido too lazy for an evening walk on your porch. He will be leaping for the taste of the wild in this doggy food. The taste of roasted bison and venison will bring out the wild prairie dog in him. His skin will become healthy again and his coat will shiny if he was recently groomed by a professional.
This product is sold internationally.
- The smell of roasted meat will have your wild dog perk up as you open the bag.
- Grain-free pup food
- Complete and balanced nutrition to keep your dog healthy.
- Healthy skin and shiny coat
- Muscle development and weight gain.
- As with any high protein dog food, reviews have noted that some dogs develop chronic heart disease from the high protein.
- Not all breeds of dogs can cope with this brand of canine food.
- Pea nutrition is not beneficial to dogs.
- Some dogs do not like the taste of this brand.
Thinking of changing to pooch food that can help your underweight dog to gain some body weight and build lean muscles?
WholeHearted Grain Free All-Life Stages Dry Dog Food is just the diet to buy for your precious mutt. Once your Fido starts this plan, you will not be able to keep up with him on your daily walks. His energy will be boundless and his entire body will be healthy and strong.
The good news is it does not matter what age your fur baby is, you can buy this food to help him gain healthy weight and muscles. Your dog’s coat will become shiny and his skin will be healthy.
The most encouraging part is that your dog will not have any upset stomach eating this dog food as it is highly digestible.
- Easy to transition from another on to this doggy diet.
- The taste of duck will keep his appetite as a meat-eater aroused.
- No corn, no wheat, or grains of any kind.
- Your Fido will become an energetic pet.
- Healthy skin and shiny coat.
- Not all dogs can adjust to this formula.
Are you planning on becoming a dog owner and are wondering about which food to feed your new friend?
Wonder no more. Purina Weight with Real Chicken Adult Dog Food is the one to use to welcome your new friend into your family. Your dog will gain healthy weight from this formula. His muscles will become lean from this completely balanced diet.
You will notice your dog’s healthy and shiny coat. Imagine your dog running beside you on your daily exercise around a nearby park.
- This one is a completely balanced diet for your adult pooch.
- Your dog’s immune system will be in full function against diseases and pests.
- Help your canine to achieve healthy weight gain.
- Helps your mutt to build strong, lean muscles. This blend will help your dog to have a healthy weight.
- This blend will give your dog energy to play and patrol.
- Peas are not beneficial for your little best friends.
- This product can be shipped internationally.
- A few reviews observed that this canine food may not please all breeds of canines.
- As with any of the good pooch food for healthy weight gain, some viewers claim that their dogs got an upset stomach from eating Purina’s this food.
If your Fido is not a picky chicken eater then you can try this air-dry lamb dry food. It is the first thing that your pup will respond to after his bite. Not surprisingly, your dog’s joint health will be improved when he transitions to this diet.
You will have a pooch that is on a completely balanced diet which will make him healthy all over. He will gain a healthy weight and build strong muscles.
Your friendly veterinarian will be pleased with his strong bones and teeth. He will be awed by his healthy skin and shiny coat. This Fido diet is recommended for all breeds and stages of life.
- New meat for a non-picky eater
- Improved joint health
- Healthy skin and shiny coat
- Healthy and weight gainer
- Develop lean muscles
- Improved energy and vitality.
- Some dogs will not transition to this one.
- If you are a busy person, it is important to note that it takes 7-8 days to fully transition to this diet.
- This item can only be shipped in the United States of America.
If your dog is not in the best condition you should try Diamond Naturals Adult Dog Lamb Meal & Rice Formula. This dog food will get your dog on the go; he will become a healthy dog with strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
No longer will your dog be sleeping when it is time to exercise. This formula will help your dog to maintain a healthy digestive tract, to have healthy skin, and a shiny coat. He will be running circles around you with his added energy and vitality.
Your fellow dog lovers will admire his weight gain and muscle development. There will be no need for supplements when you feed your dog Diamond Naturals Adult Dog Lamb Meal & Rice Formula.
- A new taste of meat for your Fido
- Your dog will have lean, strong muscles
- Your dog will gain weight
- Healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Provides digestive support for your dog
- Complete balanced nutrition.
- As with any other high-calorie dog food brands, some reviews claim this upset the pooch stomachs causing bad breath.
- Item is not eligible for international shipping.
If you own a purebred Bulldog that has lived for 12 months or longer, this is the ideal food for your dog. Your dog will have no trouble with the ideal size of this pooch food.
He will pass less gas and the odor of his stool will no longer be disturbing your family members or neighbors. Having sensitive skin, your dog needs this food to control any skin issues that may take your dog to the veterinarian.
Their bodies will grow in the naturally short, stocky manner of Bulldogs with wrinkled skin and squishy faces. This food is easily digested. Bulldog. This item can be shipped internationally.
- It contains bite-size pieces of dry food to please your Bulldog.
- Great for your dog’s joint health.
- Excellent for healthy skin, a healthy coat, and wrinkles.
- Produce a fully healthy Bulldog.
- 50 years of scientific research and observation with dog food for Bulldogs.
- This doggy diet is not for other breeds.
- Your Bulldog will still pass gas every so often.
- Bulldogs younger than 12 months cannot eat this canine food.
If your doggo is a chicken lover then Rachel Ray Nutrish Real Chicken & Veggies Recipe is just the food to buy. Your pup will be healthy all over. His weight gain will be healthy instead of becoming a fat slob on your porch. His muscles, teeth, and bones will be strong.
Your pooch will have healthy skin and a shiny coat from eating Rachel Ray’s formula. Yes, your Fido will be full of energy for daily runs after you get home from work.
- Made with real farm-raised chicken as the main ingredient.
- Builds a healthy body.
- Healthy and weight gainer.
- Strong muscles, teeth, and bones.
- Easily digestible and kind to your dog’s stomach.
- Builds the immune system in your dog to fight diseases and pests.
- Shipping is limited to the United States and a few other countries.
- Peas are not beneficial for dogs.
- This product can only be shipped to a few other countries besides the United States of America.
- A few reviews claim it is not healthy for dogs with allergies.
- As with any dog food for weight gain, a few reviews claim to find mold on the food when they open the bag.
This canine’s diet is highly recommended by veterinarians to fuel the energy needed by large breed pooches. So if you have a large furry friend this is the pet food that you need to buy. All the contents in this blend are natural. Your pup will enjoy having healthy skin and a shiny coat.
This blend of dog food maintains good joint health. Your dog will be filled with energy and vitality. Having a lazy Fido will no longer be your problem. Your tail-wagging friend will experience healthy weight gain and strong bones and teeth.
Your dog will develop lean muscles which will be admired when you take him for a walk after you get home from work. Your dog’s immune system will be at its best function against diseases and pests.
- Specially formulated for large breed dogs.
- Builds strong bones and strong muscles.
- Helps to maintain a well-functioning immune system.
- Your dog will have healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Transition to this pet food may cause mild stomach upset for sensitive stomachs.
- A few reviews claim that their dog had diarrhea after eating Hill’s Science Diet Dog Food.
- As with any of the new formula in canine food, some reviews claim their dog has upset stomach and skin issues.
#14 Iams Proactive Health Adult Beef, Rice, Carrots and Green Beans Flavor Chunks in Gravy Wet Dog Food
Has your canine friend lost his love for eating? He may need some real meaty treats with gravy right from the can. Switch to Iams Proactive Health Chunks wet food. Your pup friend will think he is eating at your table.
You will not need to beg him to eat his food again. In addition to great taste, your mutt will receive a wholesome balanced meal. His skin will be healthy and his coat will be shiny.
Your Fido will gain a healthy weight, not fat to slow him down. He will have great energy and vitality to be active all day long. His immune system will be able to fight off attacks of any disease and pests.
Your pet will develop strong bones teeth and lean muscles.
- It promotes a healthy body with strong bones and lean muscles.
- It will wake up your dog’s appetite again.
- Your pup’s immune system will be stronger than ever.
- This savory mixture will help your pooch to have healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Recommended for pets those are one year and older.
- This is not for puppies younger than one year.
- Some reviews claim was delivered in dented cans.
- A few reviews noted that some flavors were not edible by their dogs.
- This item is not eligible for international shipping.
Does your dog prefer his food without all the preservatives and artificial flavor? Then Ultra Premium Canned Food is formulated with all-natural contents as if cooked on a farm. This will satisfy all breeds of dogs and all life stages of dogs.
It will maintain strong bones, lean muscles, and a healthy body. Your dog will be full of energy and will need to be walked daily to release that energy and vitality. His healthy skin and luxurious coat will make you proud.
Highly qualified microbiologists and chemists perform 9 safety tests on each batch of food and tasty treats to ensure that your pet receives only the best in its bowl.
- This canned wet meal contains real quality beef.
- Build strong bones, lean muscles, and a healthy body.
- Healthy skin and a shiny, luxurious coat.
- Every batch of this diet is tested 9 times before it is sold.
- Made from all-natural foods.
- As with most good Fido food for underweight dogs, some reviews claim that the meat was not firm and chunky but in pate form which turned their dogs off from consuming it.
- A few reviews complained of receiving dented cans that were too difficult to open.
- Some reviews claim their dogs got an upset stomach with vomiting
- Some reviews complained of rusted cans and bugs in the food.
If you have a pup that likes being on the trail or just roaming around; this is the wet food for your active dog. The manufacturer has combined beef and chicken grilled to satisfy the wildness of your Fido.
Your fur baby will build strong bones and healthy muscles. It is made from all-natural foods which makes it very nutritious. This meal brings a balanced complete and diet to your canine’s dish.
He will thank you for the healthy weight gain without fat to slow him down. Your mutt will have healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Builds strong bones teeth and lean muscles.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Maintains healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- All-natural ingredients are used to keep your dog healthy.
- Make your dog energetic and full of vitality.
- Some reviews claim that their dogs refused to eat this brand of canned food.
- A few reviews say that upon opening the can they found mold on the meat and so they felt that batch must have been extremely old.
- A few reviews have complained that their dog had diarrhea for weeks after eating this brand of canned food.
Does your pooch need a little encouragement to eat his regular dry food? Then Purina Pro Savor Classic is what he needs.
Canines have a natural love for meat. So if you take a break from just feeding your pup only dry dog food and add a can of Purina Savor wet food to every bowl of pooch food, your Fido will thank you for it.
This contact with real meat will have him jumping with so much energy that you will need to put on your sneakers and take him for a run.
A dozen cans are packed in a container by the manufacturer. Your dog will experience healthy weight gain and lean muscles. His immune system will become even stronger to fight diseases and pests.
Fortunately, real chicken is the main ingredient that provides your dog with ideal body condition.
- Made with real chicken.
- Help your dog to have healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- It will aid your immune system to fight diseases and pests.
- The taste of this wet food will keep your dog coming back for more.
- This dog food delivers 100% complete and balanced nutrition.
- Your dog will gain a healthy weight and build lean muscles.
- This package can only be shipped within the United States of America and a few other countries.
- Some reviews claim that their dogs had an upset stomach causing vomiting and diarrhea after eating this food.
Is your dog becoming bored with his dry food? Do you wish you had something with a little gravy to give him? Then Purina ALPO Prime Cuts Dog Food Variety Pack is just what you need to pick up from the supermarket.
Stop by and buy a package of 12 cans of meaty Fido food with gravy. You can add it to any dog’s diet
and make that high-calorie canine food. Or, You can feed it to your underweight dog without dry food as well.
Pop open a can and watch your dog get excited with the meaty food in his dish. In no time his dish will be empty. This package has choices of beef and lamb for your dog’s pleasure.
- Your dog can get the taste of bite-size meat and gravy.
- Your dog will become energetic and full of vitality.
- Your dog’s immune system will become stronger especially if you add this to his dry food.
- Your dog will continue to gain healthy weight.
- Your friends will admire your dog’s muscle development when you take him out to exercise.
- Your dog will grow strong bones and teeth.
- Some reviews claim that the pop open top lost its handle along the shipping process.
- Few users say that the cans are delivered dented.
Top High-Calorie Dog Foods to Gaining Weight and Muscles for Your Puppies
Puppies are growing animals and so the food that they eat should help them to grow. This puppy food uses farm-raised chicken as the main food content. This blend of dog food is easily digestible.
This chicken meal provides a strong immune system, healthy skin, and a shiny coat for your young fur baby. Your little pooch will have strong bones while growing with a healthy body. Iams Proactive Health Chicken meal promotes healthy cognition for smarter, more trainable puppies.
Eating this food will help your puppy to build strong muscles and maintain healthy joints. Most veterinarians have recommended Iams for puppies to grow with healthy weight gain and lean muscles.
This dog food caters to puppies between 50 to 120 pounds.
- Contains real farm-raised chicken as the first food content.
- Your puppy will grow strong bones, teeth, and rounded muscles.
- Strengthens your puppy’s immune system.
- It’s easily digestible.
- Provides nutrients to promote healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- Promotes healthy growth of your puppy.
- It’s for puppies between 50 and 120 pounds.
- Smaller puppies cannot cope with Iams chicken meal
- This item is not eligible for international shipping.
- Your puppy will grow with healthy joints.
- Some reviews claim that they had to spend more than $300 at the veterinarian because their puppy had an upset stomach causing vomiting and diarrhea.
Blue Puppy Formula is made with real chicken to satisfy your puppy’s natural love for meat. This will allow your puppy to develop strong bones and muscles.
Your puppy will have ideal cognitive development and retinal health. Your puppy’s immune system will be stronger than ever. This puppy food also supports life stage requirements. This product will have your dog gaining healthy weight, healthy skin with a shiny coat.
Your puppy will be filled with exuberant energy to keep you busy all day long. You will be discovering new activities of play to keep him occupied.
- This chicken meal is made with real chicken as a vital food content
- Builds strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
- Secret elements help support cognitive development and retinal health.
- Maintains a strong immune system.
- Fulfills life stage requirements.
- The chicken content satisfies your puppy’s love for meat.
- This product is only for large breed puppies.
- This item is not eligible for international shipping.
- As with any of the good food for young Fido’s weight gain. Some reviews claim that it gave their pup an upset stomach causing diarrhea and a messy environment
- A few reviews say that their puppy has skin issues after eating this food.
Pedigree Dry Puppy Food is a special blend of chicken and vegetables which provides complete balanced nutrition for your puppy. This canine food is for those that are between 6 weeks to 18 months. This blend helps all puppies to develop strong bones and teeth.
The development of your pooch’s brain is important to the manufacturer of Pedigree Food. This batch of food has no artificial flavor, no high fructose corn syrup, and no added sugar. Your puppy’s skin will be healthy and his coat will be shiny.
Your puppy will have well-rounded muscles.
- This blend is completely balanced nutrition.
- Builds strong bones and teeth and muscles.
- Helps puppies to maintain a strong immune system.
- This formula helps your puppy to experience healthy brain development while your puppy is growing.
- As with any of the good dry doggy food for weight gain brand, some reviews claim that the pieces were too big for their puppy to eat.
- Some reviews claim upset stomach causing vomiting and diarrhea.
- A few reviews claim that their not so choosy pups would not touch this brand of dog food at all.
Chicken and whitefish are the two meaty contents in this puppy food. This is a good way to have your puppy stay in touch with his wild side. Your puppy will develop strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
A strong immune system is a plus to fight against diseases and pests that become epidemics at certain seasons of the year.
This food is easily digestible. It is a completely balanced meal for puppies. Your puppy will be filled with exuberant energy to tire you after a long day at work.
You must take him for a walk.
- Builds strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
- Your puppy’s immune system will be strong enough to fight any epidemic that may spread during the dry months of the year.
- Develops exuberant energy.
- Complete balanced nutrition for your puppy.
- You will notice a healthy weight gain.
- All natural food ingredients inside this package.
- A number of reviews claim that their puppies developed allergies that caused itching after being fed this doggy food.
This meaty canned food can be fed to your puppy as an additive to dry puppy chow or just as it is in the can. Pop open a can and watch your puppy gobble up the nutrients contained in this mixture.
Chicken and salmon are the main meat contents. Your puppy will develop strong bones, teeth, and muscles. His immune system will be stronger than that of a puppy on different dog food.
You will notice your puppy’s healthy skin and a shiny coat. You can feed this wet puppy food to puppies up to 10 or 15 months old.
- This meaty, wet food cannot be fed t puppies less than 10 or 15 months old.
- Builds strong bones, teeth, and well-rounded muscles in your puppy.
- This meaty, wet food encourages your puppy’s natural love for meat.
- Maintains healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- This meaty, wet food can be fed to puppies along with dry pooch food.
- This food will have your puppy showing exuberant energy all day long.
- Your puppy may not like a mixture of dry and wet young canine food.
- A few reviews say the buyer found the contents of the tin to be moldy and unfit for their puppy to eat.
- Some reviews found it to be quite expensive to feed their puppy this brand of pup food.
Do you have a puppy with a sensitive stomach? This is the ideal food for your puppy. High-quality turkey is used for meat in this bag of dry pup food. Your puppy will maintain his love of meat.
This is a completely balanced nutrition to raise a healthy puppy. You will notice a healthy weight gain in your puppy; he will not be fat and lethargic. Your puppy will develop strong bones teeth and lean muscles. His immune system will be stronger than ever.
This product is easily digestible. All food contents are natural. This formula will produce healthy skin and a shiny coat for your puppy. His immune system will be stronger than ever.
- This puppy food is easily digested.
- This product is recommended for puppies with sensitive stomachs.
- Turkey is the animal protein to develop strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
- This blend maintains a strong immune system.
- This blend helps your puppy to develop healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- A few reviews noted that their puppy refused to eat this food and showed signs of skin rash after being coaxed to eat this food.
- As with any good brand pooch food for weight gain brand, some reviews claim that their dog breed was having diarrhea from eating this food so it may not be suitable for all dog breeds.
Are High-Calorie Dog Food Supplements Useful For weight gain?
Dogs who need an extra boost might benefit from supplementation. This can be done by adding veterinarian-recommended products to food or buying one off the shelf at the pet food store.
Supplementation products generally contain high amounts of protein, fat, and carbs to give your dog the nutrition it needs.
Oftentimes, stubborn dogs graze at their food and may not eat the entirety of it. As a result, some dogs lack the proper nutrition due to their disinterest in their food.
Budget Versus Premium
There are a variety of supplements on the market that range in price and quality. It is often thought that budget supplementation is not of good quality, and this is not necessarily true. Typically, premium supplements are veterinarian-created or recommended, and therefore cost more.
There are many affordable supplements that contain high-quality ingredients. One of my favorite dog food supplements is called Spark. It offers the right amount of amino acids in the form of 100% pure beef liver.
When it comes down to it, the supplement and dog food must taste good in order for your dog to enjoy eating it every day. There are many tasty flavors available such as beef, peanut butter, pork, chicken, vegetable, and gravy.
If you have a picky eater dog, choosing a flavor that tastes yummy might encourage him or her to eat their food or supplement.
Age Suitable Dog Foods
There are many different age suitable canine foods to choose from. Just like how a human baby should not eat people’s food, puppies should not eat adult pet food.
There is a reason why puppy food is suitable for particular Fido life stages. Always read the food label to identify what age the canine food is intended for.
Dog Food Safety
Always monitor your fur baby when they are eating and how much they are eating. Helping your pooch gain strong muscle and/or weight means you consider his or her health a top priority.
If they ever start showing signs of constipation, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, or a general disinterest in their food, contact a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Read: Best Dog Food For Husky
Best High-Calorie Dog Food Supplements to Gain Weight and Muscles
Bully Max is a tablet with 19 muscle-building nutrients. Does that sound ridiculous? It is true though. Your Fido will bloom in a short time.
This tablet will boost your dog’s immune system and protect it from infection. It will also boost your furry friend’s metabolism and his ability to see in the dark. The contents of this supplement will nourish your pup’s bones and strengthen his tendons.
By following the directions on the bottle, your mutt will build strong muscles, healthy skin, and a shiny coat.
There will be a noticeable increase in your canine’s speed, strength, and power; his endurance will also increase after taking this tablet regularly as directed on the bottle.
- Has 19 muscle-building nutrients.
- Boosts pup’s immune system.
- Helps your Fido’s metabolism.
- Increase a dog’s ability to see in the dark.
- Your dog’s bones, muscles, skin, and coat will improve remarkably with this supplement.
- Boost your dog’s strength, power, speed, and endurance.
- It may be difficult to get your dog to take tablets.
- Your dog may not like the taste of the tablet.
- This supplement may make your dog too powerful to control.
- This supplement may make your dog too aggressive towards other dogs.
- As with any of the best high-calorie dog food supplements for weight gain brands, some reviews claim that their dogs had broken skin on their muscles after using Bully Max.
This chewable will help your dog to gain a healthy weight. With a healthy weight gain, lean muscles will develop.
As these snacks are tasty, you can carry them anywhere you take your dog and let him have a few. All the contents in this supplement are natural and will meet your dog’s nutritional needs.
This is a brand that veterinarians have approved. This supplement will give your dog the energy to go on daily exercise in the nearby park. This treat will add calories to your dog’s nutrition and build his immune system to fight diseases and pests.
- High-calorie treats supplement your dog’s nutrition.
- Veterinarian-approved supplement.
- Provides healthy weight gain and builds strong muscles.
- Natural contents so your dog will be able to digest them.
- Improved immune system to fight diseases and pests.
- Improve energy and vitality in your dog.
- As with any of the good dog food supplements for weight gain and muscle building brands, some reviews found this product quite expensive in proportion to the size and quantity of chews.
- A few reviews say the buyers could not get their dogs to eat the chews.
- A few reviews noted that their dogs did not completely digest the chews as pieces were seen in their poop.
Do you want your canine friend to live long? He may be looking as if he will not last very long. You need a supplement to add to his daily diet. Then this is the supplement for him.
A pure and natural supplement to build strong muscles. Your dog will gain a healthy weight. This supplement will keep your dog’s joints healthy, improve his energy and vitality and meet all his nutritional needs.
Your dog will be able to recover quickly after exercise. Your dog will have healthy skin and that dull coat will shine like a new pup.
- Pure and natural contents.
- Meets all the nutritional needs of your dog.
- Healthy weight gain.
- builds strong muscles.
- Keeps joints healthy.
- Healthy skin and a shiny coat
- Improved immune system to fight infections and pests.
- This product is not for picky dogs.
Does your dog seem to be in bad shape? Is your dog ailing or nursing a large litter of pups?
You need to purchase Dyne High-Calorie Liquid for Dogs. Dogs of all ages can consume this liquid. Your dog will recover in a short time. It boosts the nutrition that your puppy or dog needs.
Nursing mothers will be able to feed their puppies without losing their strength. Healthy weight gain will be visible on your dog, and muscles will be lean like an athletic dog.
This supplement will add calories to your dog’s nutrition. Your dog’s immune system will improve with this high-calorie liquid. It will also help your dog to recover well from any illness.
- Provide nutrition for puppies that are having difficulty in growth.
- Helps nursing mothers keep up with the feeding of their puppies
- Helps dogs to recover from illness.
- Improves the immune system of your dog to fight infections.
- Builds strong bones, teeth, and muscles.
- Improves healthy weight gain.
- The bottle does not have any expiration date; that is a bit dangerous for buyers.
Energy-giving treats are good for your dog. This is a tasty mouth-watering treat. This superfood will have your dog running down the trails in search of a good hunt for you.
Your dog will build strong muscles, teeth, and bones with this treat and lots of exercises. His entire body will gain a healthy weight. Your dog’s immune system will improve with these treats and infections will no longer affect his health.
Your dog will enjoy these treats as they are easily digestible. This supplement will complement your dog’s regular meal plan.
- Tasty treats for your dog.
- Builds strong bones.
- Builds lean muscles.
- Healthy weight gain.
- Improved immune system to fight germs.
- Healthy skin and shiny coat.
- Reviews say that the dogs want to bury them in the trash.
- As with any of the good dog food supplements for weight gain and muscle building brands, some reviews claim that sugar is used in the treats.
- Some reviews say that the dogs want to bury them in the sand.
- A few reviews say that some dogs refuse to eat the treats.
This liquid will be used by your dog’s body system in the same manner as if you took your liquid vitamins. Your dog’s energy would improve. His body would gain only a healthy weight. If you have a show dog that you take to competitions, you will be returning home with the blue ribbons.
If your female dog is pregnant, she can also use this vitamin to help her with the growth of her litter.
If you go hunting with your dog, this vitamin will help him to keep up with the hunt. Your senior dogs will benefit as well with the energy to move around more.
- This will boost your dog’s immune system to fight diseases and pests.
- Help your dog to gain a healthy weight.
- It will help your dog to be fit for running on the hunt.
- This helps pregnant dogs.
- Helps lactating dogs.
- This liquid will help your dog to build strong muscles.
- You pup may get a bit picky.
Does your dog need just a bit extra to get him on the same level as other dogs in the neighborhood? Nutri-Vet Multi-Vite Chewables for Dogs is just the multivitamin that you need to buy for him.
This vitamin will give your dog just the boost he needs. His weight gain will be healthy and his muscles will be developed in a lean manner.
Your dog’s immune system will improve and fewer infections will attack his body. His joints will improve to a strength that will surprise you. His speed and endurance in exercise will be improved. You will need to improve your running skills to keep up with your dog.
His nutrition needs will be met in the best way possible.
- Complete balanced nutrition in these chewable.
- Your dog’s total health will improve.
- Gain healthy weight.
- Develop lean muscles.
- Your dog’s energy and vitality will improve.
- Your dog will have fewer infections.
- Sugar has been hidden as an additive in these chewable.
- Not suitable for allergy prone pups.
This muscle-building powder is just what you need to pack muscle on your skinny dog. It will maximize healthy weight gain and look great. Your dog will become energetic and full of vitality. His speed and endurance will be more than you expected.
His immune system will develop to protect him from infections and pests. This supplement is also safe for your puppies. This product is made from all-natural food contents. Add this powder to water or to their canned food to give them a boost.
All breeds of dogs can benefit from this product.
- Both puppies and dogs can benefit from this powder supplement.
- Your dog will develop lean muscles.
- Mixes with water or canned dog food.
- Maximizes healthy weight gain.
- Pregnant and nursing dogs can benefit from this supplement.
- Improves your dog’s immune system to fight infections and pests.
- As with any of the best dog food supplements for weight gain and muscle building brands, some reviews claim it only worked with the puppies and the amount in the bag did not match the cost.
- A few reviews say that their dogs broke out in a rash.
This supplement builds great muscles in a skinny dog. You will see your dog’s muscles rippling in in less than a month. You will be so pleased to see your dog gain weight all over. Your dog will be healthy all over. His digestion will improve immensely. Gorilla will increase your dog’s strength.
You will see a great change in his physical structure. The most positive property is that all breeds of dogs can use Gorilla Max. This product is easily digested by adult dogs.
- It can be used by all breeds of dog 12 weeks and older
- The supplement used to build muscles on your dog.
- Develops your dog’s strength.
- Changes your dog’s body structure in less than a month.
- Maximizes the growth of your dog.
- It can be mixed with your dog’s regular dog food.
- your dog poop may change from firm to a squirt.
- some pup may have a rash issue after using it.
If you want a large muscular dog, you need to buy Bully Max Muscle Building Chews for Dogs. This supplement maximizes the growth of your dog. His muscles will ripple from under his coat. There is no way that the word puny will ever refer to your dog.
This supplement is best for dogs recovering from surgery. Your dog’s immune system will be improved to protect him from infections and pests.
This supplement will help your dog to increase in endurance and speed for a long run or race. Finally, your dog’s eyesight will be perfect.
- It maximizes the growth of your dog.
- It builds lean muscles on your dog.
- It is easy to digest.
- It is good for dogs recovering from surgery.
- Improves your dog’s immune system to protect him from infection and pests.
- Increases endurance and speed in your dog.
- Improves your dog’s eyesight.
- This supplement is not for canines with sensitive stomachs.
- Some dogs may face vomit and diarrhea related issues.
How Can You Tell If Your Dog Is Underweight?
A quick way to tell if your dog is underweight is to place both hands on either side of the torso.
If you can feel the ribs then that is great, but if you can see them protruding out of the sides then this means your dog is underweight.
You also want to check for its pelvic bone and spine – if these are sticking out then this is another indicator of an underweight pup.
Another quick way to determine if your dog is underweight is by weighting him or her. Lookup a healthy weight of your dog’s breed and compare your dog’s weight to it.
I like this chart from the American Kennel Club, it provides a great guideline for checking your dog’s weight.
Popular Read: Best Dog Foods To Reduce Pooping
What Can Cause Lower Than Normal Body Weight?
There are many causes for lower than normal body weight – let’s take a look at some of them.
#1 Behavioral Causes
This cause is very common with strays and re-homed dogs. If you adopt a dog, there is a high chance that is could be stressed out and therefore not feel like eating.
Other dogs are simply nervous and may be too anxious to eat any food. For example, if you move homes or travel to another person’s home with your dog, the new surroundings may stress them out and cause them to become disinterested in their food.
As this pattern of stress continues, the dog is susceptible to losing weight.
Parasites are a nasty thing for a dog to contract. They are a major cause of rapid weight loss in a dog, and they must be treated as soon as possible in order to prevent them from spreading to major organs.
Some common parasites are tapeworms, roundworms, heartworms, and whip/hookworms.
If your dog is rapidly losing weight and vomiting, feeling fatigued, or looking bloated, take them to the vet immediately because these are tell-tale signs of a parasite.
- Tapeworms – This parasite finds its way into the body through ingested food or water that contains tapeworm eggs.
- Roundworms – This parasite manifests itself in the intestine, but can move its way into the lungs if the dog develops a cough.
- Heartworms – This parasite is transferred through mosquito bites, and it is a nasty parasite that travels into the heart and other blood vessels.
- Whip and Hookworms – These parasites live in the intestines of the dog. They are contracted through feces, water, or eating dead rodents.
#3 Liver Illness
A dog can lose weight due to liver complications. As a result, dogs can become ill and vomit, have diarrhea, and loss of appetite. When a dog does these things, it is unable to hold in important nutrients and vitamins to stay healthy.
Watch for signs in your dog such as yellow coloring of the eyes and skin, and if they become lethargic and disinterested in walking or eating.
#4 Dental Issues
Dental issues such as difficulty picking up food, sore gums, bleeding gums, loose teeth, blood in the dog’s bed or water dish, or bad breath are all signs to look out for.
Dental issues are not only painful, but they can cause a dog to lose weight because eating is hard.
#5 Thyroid Complications
The thyroid is a butterfly gland that needs to be functioning optimally in order for your dog to feel its best.
If the thyroid gland is not working properly, your furry friend may experience weight loss (or gain), sluggishness, overeating, and bloating.
Certain dogs are more prone to thyroid complications, so be sure to check if your dog is one of the more susceptible breeds.
#6 Addison’s Disease
This disease results in irregular hormone production. When hormones are not regulating the way they should, dogs can lose weight, vomit, and have diarrhea.
This makes eating difficult and the body is unable to hold in nutrients and vitamins.
Why Is My Dog Losing Weight?
Dogs can lose weight for a variety of reasons, both natural and alarming. It is important to not only consider your dog’s weight loss but any other side effects that come with it.
Most dogs are active and therefore, they can lose weight naturally and healthily. However, when a dog loses rapid weight out of the blue accompanied by vomiting, lethargy, and diarrhea, this is when you should be alarmed.
Read To Learn: 4 Things Avoid When Choosing Food For Chihuahua
#1 Quality Over Quantity
Remember, giving dogs food that is good quality rather than a lot of unhealthy food is key.
It is better to feed them premium ingredients rather than a lot of bad food. Less is more if it is better for you.
#2 Plenty of Protein
Protein fills the belly and sustains satisfaction. It also provides the body with the necessary amount of muscle-building nutrients.
Good quality dog foods will contain just the right amount of protein, which means their body is getting essential amino acids to thrive.
#3 Give Time To Slow Eater
Not every dog is going to gobble up their food fast! My dogs love to graze and eat throughout the day, so keep in mind not every dog is going to eat quickly.
Always give your pooch time to eat their food at their own pace and never rush them. If a canine eats too fast they may vomit from indigestion.
#4 Avoid Junk Foods
Avoid buying cheap, junk dog food. Just like we need good food to fuel our bodies, dogs need quality food made with premium ingredients in order to live a healthy life.
Some dog foods that are made with junk ingredients can cause a dog to lose weight because there are not sufficient amounts of vitamins and nutrients per serving.
Certain supplements can aid in or fight against weight loss. If you find your dog is losing unnecessary weight, supplements can provide them the fat and protein they need to put on a few pounds.
Most supplements contain essential vitamins like A, D, and B’s, as well as extra protein to add calories.
Read: Can Dogs Eat Cat Food?
Does Your Dog Need To Gain Some Muscles To Improve Her Weight?
It is important to note that muscle does not weigh more than fat, but muscle can aid in a higher weight. Moreover, the muscle can help shape a dog and provide it with a better figure.
Muscle will help a dog who suffers from protruding bones take on a shapelier, healthier appearance.
Ways Muscle Helps a Dog’s Body
- Incorporate exercises that target a dog’s muscles
- Feed it protein treats and supplements
- Give it time to swim and run
How to Help Your Dog To Gain Weight the Right Way?
Dogs are not like people. Therefore, they need to gain muscle in a slightly different way.
Let’s take a look at some of the best ways to do this:
Your Dog’s Daily Calorie Requirements
You can help your dog gain weight properly by ensuring it is eating enough for its’ body weight.
Different breeds will need different amounts of calories, and certain dogs will need more food depending on their exercise level.
People Also Liked: How Much Calories In Sunflower Seeds For Dogs?
Some Easy Ways to Help Your Skinny Dog Gain Weight
The important thing to remember is to give your dog time to gain weight; do not shove food down its throat. Start by giving your dog a bigger portion of food while maintaining enough exercise.
If your dog needs extra support, adding a protein or fat booster to its food is helpful. Keep in mind that if your dog does a lot of exercises or is a working dog, it needs to be eating enough.
Are Certain Dogs Supposed to be On the Slim Side?
Yes, of course. Certain breeds like Whippets or Chihuahua’s are smaller dogs, but that does not mean they should be malnourished and boney.
Always speak with a professional veterinarian if you are concerned about your dog’s weight.
How to Choose Best Dog Food for Muscles Gain?
First things first, you want to select a food that has high-quality ingredients. Avoid food that contains any by-products or dyes, as these are harmful to your dog’s health if consumed over extended periods of time.
Next, add supplements as you see fit and exercise your dog regularly.
If you find your dog is doing well with exercise, try adding a weighted vest to challenge him or her. As your dog continues to excel with different exercise challenges, up the intensity…but always monitor his or her health while exercising as you do not want to overwork them.
Good dog foods will only work if the dog is exercising, so do not forget to let them run around be a dog!
Learn How To: Choose The Right Food For Your Dog
Considering Breed Wise Nutritional Needs of An Underweight
Consider the following chart from Macarthur Vet. It shows the normal weights of all the breeds. You will notice that some breeds fall on the lower end of normal weight.
For example, a Yorkshire Terrier is a normal weight of 3 kg, while a Bullmastiff is a normal weight of 59 kg.
Bigger dogs will therefore need to weigh more due to their bone structure, and smaller dogs will sit healthy at a lower weight. Moreover, larger breeds like Great Danes and Bullmastiffs will need a different nutrition plan for gaining weight than a Chihuahua.
Related: Best Food For Large Breed Dogs
What Are Some Homemade Natural Food for Weight Gain?
I love to cook healthy organ meats for my dogs to ensure they are acquiring enough fat and protein. For example, cow liver and heart make great sources for weight gain and they offer many vitamins and nutrients.
Take a look at the following meals:
- Baked liver, chicken, and rice
- Baked cow heart, green beans, and chicken
- Liver and rice
- Chicken and heart with carrots
All you do is bake these dishes and serve them – easy as that!
Your dog gets a nutritious meal that is made with quality meat and vegetables to provide him or her with adequate protein, fat, and starch.
|Liver, chicken, rice||460 calories per serving|
|Heart, green beans, chicken||340 calories per serving|
|Liver and rice||340 calories per serving|
|Chicken, heart, carrots||400 calories per serving|
Is Alternative Food Good for Weight gain?
While good quality dog food is ideal for weight gain, there are alternative options. There are several supplements on the market that you can feed your dog to promote weight gain.
For example, all the vitamins (A, C, D, etc.) are great to add to your dog’s food. Additionally, omega fatty oils and whey protein designed for dogs are great to sprinkle on your pup’s food.
These supplements are great but they should never replace a meal.
How to Put Weight On a malnourished Dog?: More Tips & Tricks
There are many extra ways you can help your dog put weight on. I like to incorporate some of these helpful tricks each day and my dog loves them.
Weigh Your Dog
Have a handy scale in a designated spot and weigh your dog every day or every other day. Always reward with a treat so your dog knows they did a good job.
I like to keep a canister of dog biscuits beside the scale.
Create a Daily Record
Dust off that old notebook you have kicking around in the drawer, and record your dog’s weight each day. You may even want to create a graph to log the data.
This makes it easy to track your dog’s weight gain process.
Exercise is Helpful
Ensuring your dog gets adequate exercise each day is so important. It will help keep their joints and heart-healthy, as well as allowing them to digest their food properly.
Feed Small Amounts of Food Often
Feeding your dog small portions often will help their metabolism to stay elevated and appetite-ready.
Let Your Dog De-Stress
Dogs need relaxation time, just like people. Allow them to get enough sleep and naps during the day so they are ready to exercise and eat.
Take them out in the backyard to play ball or to a local park to run, run, run!
Include Drool-Worth Extras
Adding pieces of cooked beef or liver to your dog’s meal will not only have them drooling with excitement, but it will add more healthy fat and protein to assist in their weight gain.
Add Weight-Vests to Give Your Dog a Challenge
Weight-vests add just enough extra weight to challenge your dog. They are comfortable and can be worn on walks or hikes.
Reward with Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a delicious fat that dogs seem to love! Give your dog a spoonful of peanut butter once a day as a treat and they will be licking their lips in excitement.
Peanut butter is a natural protein and fat source; just be sure to give them 100% natural peanut butter with NO added sugars or salt.
Is Over Weight Harmful To Dogs?
Carrying excess weight can damage your dog’s bones and joints; it can place a lot of pressure on the body.
Additionally, a build-up of fat around organs can be harmful and detrimental to your dog’s health.
You May Also Learn: What Is The Best Dog Food For Pitbull With Food Allergies?
If you really have a skinny dog or you want to improve the weight, I think Hungry Bark’s Turkey and Duck or Salmon Recipe is a good solution. However, I would love to know what dog food you like to feed?
If you are already feeding any other food that we missed and you think we should put that here, please feel free to write about that in our comment section below.
We have partnered with HungryBark.com to offer the best deal on high quality dog food to our readers. If you click on the button below, we will take you to their exclusive discount page.