If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what’s the best food for your American Pit Bull Terrier Dog, then we recommend the Orijen Original Dry Dog Food as the best one.
As a Pitbull owner, you know how big these sweethearts and goofball can be. You also know how important their food is for their health. If you are getting a Pitty pup for the first time, well it is best to ensure they are getting the right food from the beginning.
I have no doubt you want the best dog food for your Pitbull. So I will be going over what Pitbulls need for a healthy diet?
In this article, we’re going to review the following best foods for Pitbulls:
- Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food
- Taste Of The Wild High Prairie Dry Dog Food
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food
- Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food
- Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast Dry Dog Food
- Orijen Original Dry Dog Food
- Acana Heritage Meats Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Light Dog Food
- Bully Max High-Performance Premium Dog Food
Popular Read: Best Dry And Wet Dog Foods For Reducing Poop
Best Puppy Food For Pitbulls
Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream formula is made with real salmon and filled with vitamins and minerals. Plus this grain-free dry dog food formula has a 25 percent protein content and also a 15 percent fat content, a perfect amount for Pitbulls.
Not to mention this formula is highly digestible and contains quality carbs with no fillers. Taste of the Wild is also made to be easily absorbed and keep your Pit going all day.
It also comes with prebiotics for a healthy gut for your Pit bull Terrier. They put quality first with your dog’s health in mind.
- It comes with quality ingredients.
- A grain-free formula for Pitbulls.
- Fruits and vegetables for a stronger immune system.
- Offers omega 3 fatty acids. Helpful for joint, skin, and thyroid health.
- Not great for very active mutts.
Wellness Simple keeps it just that, simple. There is only one source of protein, mostly being salmon. This is also a grain-free dry dog food formula without preservatives or additives.
If your pooch has allergies to most foods, this will definitely help your Pitbull out with its limited ingredients. It also comes with a protein content of 25 percent, the average amount for any normal adult Pitbull.
In general, this is one of the best food options for Pit bull Terriers, especially those with allergies.
- Quality and limited ingredients.
- Great for allergen-prone or overweight Pitbulls.
- Has omega-3 fatty acid.
- Filled with vitamins and minerals.
- Not useful for active dogs because of low-fat content.
- No fruits or vegetables.
The Taste Of The Wild High Prairie provides quality sources of proteins, worthy for your Pitbull’s food bowl. With the high-quality ingredients, it is much more filling and will last quite a while.
It is also chalk full of vitamins and minerals as well as fruit and vegetables. Your Pitbull can easily digest this grain-free dry dog food formula.
- Great for Pitbull or other dogs with food allergies.
- No preservatives, additives, or dyes.
- Very digestible.
- With filling portions, the bag will last you a while.
- Less active Pitbulls may gain extra weight with this formula.
Wellness Core comes with many different formulas of protein. With high protein at 34 percent, it is very rich for even the most active Pitbull. However, it does have a lower fat percentage at about 12 percent as well.
This brand also includes human-grade ingredients formulated diets for larger breed canines.
You also won’t find any worthless fillers in this food. So, this keeps your Pitbull’s digestive system happy and healthy.
- Very high in protein.
- Includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health.
- Has human-grade ingredients.
- Grain-free dry dog food formula.
- With some sensitive stomachs, it can cause some digestive issues.
Blue Buffalo is known as one of the best for its healthy dog foods. They offer a variety of ingredients. I like this recipe for Pitbull because this formula contains 34 percent of protein contents.
Since it is also grain-free, it keeps your Pitbull’s stomach happy with less risk of allergens. It also comes with the minimum requirement of fat for a Pitbull at 15 percent.
You can’t forget about the omega-3 fatty acids and glucosamine added for more benefits.
- High protein percentage.
- Grain-free dog food.
- No fillers, or artificial ingredients.
- Has fruits and vegetables mixed in.
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Glucosamine for joint health.
- Lower fat content.
- No zip closure to keep the food fresh.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet focuses mainly on natural ingredients like fish and sweet potatoes. Though this does lower the fat content to around 21 percent and an even lower fat content of 10 percent.
It is not quite to Pitbull standard, but it is the right food if your large breed Pitbull dog is overweight or has kidney issues. This food is also filled with vitamins and minerals for a more rounded diet.
- Limited ingredients.
- Grain-free diet.
- Free from allergens with grains or meats.
- Nothing artificial.
- Low protein and fat content.
- With certain dogs, it can give them an awful smell.
Merrick Grain Free Dog Food is one of the top brands with the most protein content. It stands at a whopping 43 percent of protein with duck, turkey meal, lamb meal, deboned chicken, and salmon meal.
That gives your Pitbull a very diverse meal they are sure to love. It also comes with an abundance of fruit and veggies such as sweet potatoes, blueberries, apples, alfalfa, etc.
As this also contains glucosamine, so the formula is definitely a well-rounded diet for Pit bull Terriers.
- High protein content.
- Filled with fruit and vegetables.
- Has glucosamine for joint health.
- Varied and full diet.
- Some dogs may hate certain flavors.
- Contains some allergens such as poultry.
Earthborn offers a full 42 percent of protein. This protein comes from bison meat, bison meal, lamb meal, and eggs. This is great for high-energy dogs like Pitbulls, as they need the meat to maintain the energy all day long.
Earthborn also comes with healthy fats like flaxseed for skin and coat. With a mix of fruits and veggies, it also brings a rounded diet of vitamins and nutrients.
- High protein content.
- Packed with fruits and vegetables.
- Lean means high energy.
- Great rounded diet of vitamins and minerals
- Picky eater dogs may turn up their noses.
Orijen comes in many formulas for small to large and puppy to senior dogs. They are known for their nutrition research put into their food to always offer the best for your dog. Most of their formulas contain an amazing 70 to 30 percent ratio of meat to fruit and vegetables. There is absolutely no grain in their blends, which is mainly unneeded filler anyway.
It also has high-quality human-grade ingredients that are sourced to have no antibiotics or hormones. Orijen also has a 40 percent content of protein with 16 percent fat, perfect for any Pitbull.
- High protein content.
- Filled with fruit and vegetables.
- Human-grade ingredients.
- Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acid.
- Rather expensive.
Acana is made from the same company as Orijen. This means they follow the same ethic with this brand, making its ingredients as high quality as it can get. Acana however has a bit more carbohydrate content at 28 percent. It is also a bit lower in protein at 33 percent instead of 40.
With a 15 to 17 percent fat content as well, this brand falls into the healthy bracket for Pitbulls. Acana also comes in formulas for all stages of life for your pup.
- High protein content.
- High-quality ingredients.
- Meant for a more natural diet.
- Great for digestion.
- Some dogs develop allergies to it
Hill’s Science Diet is known as the go-to brand for most vets. I often see it when walking in the door for my vet visits. This brand is great for active dogs with its rounded diet with vitamins and minerals.
Not to mention it comes with a blend of Omega-6 fatty acids and even Vitamin E to promote healthy skin and fur. Hill’s Science is also free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives.
- Omega-6 fatty acids.
- Helps with coat and skin.
- Has antioxidants for a healthy immune system.
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors.
- Contains the leading allergen chicken.
Bully Max is made specifically for Pitbulls. It has a full 30 percent protein content and 20 percent fat content. Perfect for any pit out there. All the ingredients are natural, and it doesn’t contain fillers such as corn, wheat, or soy.
It also is free of artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or even hidden ingredients.
- High in protein and fat content.
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
- Great for athletic Pitbulls.
- Easily digestible.
- Rather expensive for its quality
- For those looking for more muscle in your Pit, it seems not to show improvements.
Nutritional Requirements For Pitbulls
Pitbulls’ nutrition needs are mainly based on their age, body size, and most importantly their activity levels.
All dogs require a mix of proteins, fats, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, and water. However, Pits require a specific ratio I will delve into further below.
Adult Pitbull Terriers need around 18 percent protein a day with puppies requiring a whopping 22 percent. It is also recommended to have at least 25 grams of protein for every thousand calories.
However, your Pit bull needs high-quality protein from a variety of sources in order for a rounded diet.
List Of Protein Sources:
- Meats: Lamb, beef, chicken, turkey, and fish are the most common proteins you should see at least one of in your wet or dry dog food.
- Soy: While soy may not be seen as a great source of protein, it has certain amino acids that are not found in other sources.
- Corn: Corn is just like soy, containing its own amino acids that would help give your Pit more balance in their proteins.
Related Reading: 20 Dog Food Recipes With Chicken
I know fats seem like something we shouldn’t have in our food, but they are necessary for your Pitbull dog’s food. They are most important for the nervous system, digestion, and absorption of vitamins.
While choosing some best dog foods, make sure to get at least 5 percent fats for adult Pitbull Terriers and 8 percent for puppies in their food.
List Of Fat Sources:
- Animal Fats: Chicken, beef, lamb, and beef fat are common sources of fat within canine foods that are both high quality and good for them.
- Fish Oil: Fish oil is great for your Pitbull, bringing with it omega-3 acids that are essential for your pup.
- Other Oils: Canola, sunflower, and safflower oils are also high-quality fats that help with digestion.
Carbs in dog food help mainly with digestion. For Pitbull, you want a lower fiber diet with tons of soluble carbs. Make sure your Pitbull puppies get around 25 to 30 percent carbs in their diet.
List Of Carbohydrate Sources:
- Fiber: Fiber is a type of carb that helps with digestion, however for energetic mutts like Pitbull Terriers, it is always best to keep fiber to a minimum.
- Fruits and Veggies: A variety of fruits and vegetables can help give your canine a more rounded diet with these soluble carbohydrates.
- Wholesome Grains: Grains like rice or potatoes are great to add more amino acids and simple sugars to high-quality dog food for Pitbull.
Read To Learn : Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas?
Minerals And Vitamins
Minerals and vitamins are as crucial for your Pitbull as they are for your own health. They can help from blood to fur and everything in between.
- Iron: Iron helps promote hemoglobin in the red blood cells, which helps to transport oxygen.
- Calcium: Calcium is of course a great mineral to help your Pitbull to get strong bones.
- Vitamins A, C, and E: These vitamins are superb and beneficial antioxidants.
- B Vitamins: The B vitamins help to promote a healthy metabolism for your Pitbull Terrier pup.
Water in dog food is really beneficial. It helps your pooch with more water intake and keeps them hydrated. It also moves along the digestion of pooch foods.
Also, if your dog scarves their food down like mine, water helps even slow them down.
Types Of Dog Foods
There are four different types of foods for dogs- kibble, dehydrated foods, canned food, and a frozen raw diet.
I will briefly be going over these below.
Kibble is one of the top kinds of dry dog food out there. It provides many of the nutritional values from above, plus it has a much higher variety in such.
Kibble should always be the first option for Pitbull puppies or adults since there are many formulas available.
Dehydrated Dog Foods
Dehydrated dry dog foods are often raw diets that you need to add water to. It can be good for your Pit’s digestion, but it is often suggested to add some dry food to it.
Canned Dog Food
Canned dog food simulates a raw diet with some of the benefits of kibble. However, it can bring up some digestion issues with upset bellies.
Frozen Raw Diet
Frozen raw diets are similar to dehydrated foods. However, they need to thaw before feeding your canines.
Though they don’t offer a full range as kibble does, raw diets for dogs aren’t necessarily bad.
Well Balanced And Healthy Diet Benefits
Just as we do, Pitbulls need a healthy and well-balanced diet. And when they are given such a diet, they benefit greatly from it.
- Staying in Shape: A healthy diet helps keep your Pit pup in shape with their high activities.
- Prevents Health Issues: Pitbulls are known for lots of health issues, and a healthy diet helps prevent many of them.
What To Look Out For In Your Pitbull’s Food?
When looking at the ingredients in your Pitbull’s food, you want to see the best of the best.
Firstly, you want to ensure there are human-grade ingredients instead of processed by-products. You also want a low carbs formula for your pup with no fillers or generic proteins or fats. Also as a rule of thumb for quality foods for mutts, it is never wise to get something with preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes.
Below I will be going into more detail about each of these so you know just what to be looking for.
Say “Yes” To Human-Grade Ingredients
If you can eat it, your dog can too. Human-grade dog food simply means it is edible for us, even if it won’t taste good.
But this ensures that your Pitbull is getting the best high-quality ingredients possible, instead of low-quality byproducts.
Popular Reads: 87 Human Foods Dogs Can and Can’t Eat
Say “Yes” To Low Carbohydrates
When looking for carbohydrates, you want to ensure your Pitbull is getting higher quality and healthy sources. These include things such as oatmeal, brown rice, or even apples.
Examples of low-quality fillers would be wheat, corn, potato, or soy. These are often best to stay away from since they don’t offer many benefits for Pitbulls.
Avoid Generic Meat And Oils
Have you ever looked at the label of any store brand dog food and seen ‘animal fat’ or ‘meat product’? These are generic ingredients found in low-quality canine food.
Avoid those while you choose any food for your Pit. If you have to ask what animal the fat is from, it’s not something you should even consider.
Say “No” To By-Products
By-products are often made from animal parts we would never eat. Those are ground up and tossed in your dog’s food. There is no nutritional value from it and even can cause an allergic reaction in your Pitbull.
If you see by-products or digests in the label, it’s essential parts such as hooves, eyes, guts, etc. Not very appetizing.
Learn More About: Best Dog Food Brands For Large Breeds
Avoid Worthless Fillers
Worthless fillers such as soy, corn, potatoes, and wheat offer no nutritional value to your Pit’s meal.
It is best to stay away from such fillers, as they will only make your Pitbull need to go to the bathroom more frequently and eat more.
Say “No” To Chemical Preservatives
Chemical preservatives are being discussed heavily in our foods about the complications they can cause. Why should they be in our fur baby’s food?
If you see preservatives in your Pit’s food, it is best to change to a healthier option.
Avoid Artificial Sweeteners Or Dyes
If your large breed dog’s food is bright and colorful, it is not healthy. The colors are mainly there to attract our attention, not for your Pitbull to weight gain or provide high-quality protein.
It is best to stay away from anything with dyes, sweeteners, or even artificial flavoring. None of these offer any nutritional value for your Pit.
Problems May Come From Cheap Foods
Pitbulls are very prone to health complications that arise from eating cheaper foods. There are a handful of medical issues they face in their lifetime if these large breed dogs are not meeting their nutritional needs.
Popular Reading: Top Food Brands For Small Breed Dogs
Things To Avoid In Your Pitbull’s Food
Questionable proteins such as meat or poultry by-products are both processed and contain no nutritional value.
You don’t know what it contains, and it has no health benefits either.
Corn And Grain Fillers
Corn and Grain are both fillers that only ever fill your pup up.
They are cheap and low-quality ingredients that often lead to a lot of digestive issues or even weight gain.
Any additives are not natural for dog consumption. They can lead to allergies from the chemicals stocked into them.
They are often found in cheap food only to make it more appealing instead of healthy.
Pitbull Foods Related FAQs
#How Do I Treat My Overweight Pitbull?
To get your Pit down to a healthy weight, take it easy on the treats, measure out all the food, and get plenty of exercises.
#How Do I Treat My Underweight Pitbull?
The first thing you must do is find out what is causing your Pit Bull Terrier to be underweight, whether it is medical or parasitic. So the best thing to do is take your Pitbull to the vet for answers.
Related Reading : Best Dog Foods To Gain Weight And Muscles
#How Do I Keep My Pitbull in Shape?
With a properly balanced and measured diet as well as proper exercise, you can keep your Pitty as healthy as can be.
#How Do I Avoid Bloat in My Pitbull?
The best way to prevent bloat is to separate meals two to three times a day. With one big meal, there is a much higher risk of gas buildup.
Did You Find Your Best Dog Foods For Pitbulls Today?
Out of all the lineup of foods, I would have to say Orijen Original Dry Dog Food stood out most to me. It is the highest quality of food and really seemed to pride themselves on having such an above-standard nutritional profile.
When compared to the other brands, it has one of the highest protein content values while maintaining the needed fat content for Pitbulls. It is also free of additives and fillers which makes it prime for any Pitbull’s diet.
What is the best dog food that you like for your Pitbull?
Other Dog Food-Related Topics
1. Best Dog Foods For Schnauzers
2. Best Dog Food For French Bulldogs
3. Top Dog Foods For Labradoodles
4. Best Dog Food For Chihuahuas
5. Can Dogs Eat Limes?
6. What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Plastic?
7. Best Dog Water Dispensers For Indoors & Outdoors
8. Best Dog Water Bowls For Small Medium & Large Breed Canines
9. Can Dogs Eat Sunflower Seeds?
10. Can Dogs Eat Hummus?
11. Best Dog Foods For Maltipoo
We have partnered with HungryBark.com to offer the best deal on high quality dog food to our readers. If you click on the button below, we will take you to their exclusive discount page.