If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what’s the best dog food for English Mastiffs, then we recommend the Hungry Bark Grain-Free Superfoods With Lamb And Turkey as the best.
Weighing in somewhere between 120 and 200 pounds, the English Mastiff is no lap dog! This is the baseball eating giant breed that frightened the kids in The Sandlot.
So, what does a 150 pound English Mastiff eat? The answer is not “Anything it wants to” as you might think. Your English Mastiff’s food should be as high in quality as quantity.
In this article, we’re going to review the following gentle giants dog foods for English Mastiff:
- Hungry Bark Grain-Free Superfoods With Lamb And Turkey
- PetPlate Tail Waggin’ Turkey Recipe
- ACANA Protein Rich, Real Meat, Dry Dog Food Recipe
- Purina ONE Natural Dry Dog Food
- Pedigree Grilled Steak & Vegetable Flavor Dry Dog Food
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food
- Taste Of The Wild High Protein Recipe With Bison & Venison
- Diamond Naturals Real Meat Recipe Dry Dog Food With Salmon
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Giant Adult Dry Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food Lamb & Rice – Large Breed
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Natural Dry Dog Food
- Purina Pro Plan Grain Free Adult Canned Wet Dog Food
- Nutro Max Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
- Hill’s Science Diet Dry Chicken Recipe
- Proactive Health Large Breed Dog Food With Chicken
- Wellness Complete Health Natural Chicken & Oatmeal Recipe
- Crave Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food With Protein
Best Dog Foods For English Mastiffs Adult and Senior
Hungry Bark’s Turkey and Duck recipe is nutritiously packed kibbles filled with everything your English Mastiff needs. The first three ingredients are turkey, duck, and turkey meal which are all great sources of protein to help your giant breed dog.
With minimum 1.3% of Omega 3 fatty acids, this kibble also has sweet potato and pumpkin added in to help with your dog’s digestion, and it is even packed full of vitamins and probiotics.
Made with natural ingredients and real meat, it is made to please even the pickiest of eaters. All around, this food is great for active dogs as well as seniors. If you are looking to help your English Mastiff gain some weight, this recipe is a good filling meal for your pup.
- The top three ingredients are turkey, duck and turkey meal
- Packed with vitamins and probiotics
- Sweet potato and pumpkin to boost your dog’s digestive system
- Full balanced meal for any stage of your dog’s life
- A bit more expensive compared to some other kibble recipes
If you are looking for filling low-carb foods for your English Mastiff, PetPlate’s Tail Waggin’ Turkey Recipe is a good option. Instead of unhealthy grains or corn filling, this recipe is packed with sensitive stomach-friendly ingredients.
The first three ingredients are ground turkey, brown rice, and turkey liver followed by a generous list of veggies.
They are also coming out with a new recipe that will also include green beans, red bell peppers, and wild rice, giving your dog even more of a balanced nutritious meal.
Since this meal is filled with healthy carbs, it makes it a great option for all stages of your English Mastiff’s life from puppy to senior. Pet Plate’s recipe is a perfect meal replacement for any kibble options since it is packed in essential vitamins and nutrients.
- High in protein and filled with healthy carbs like brown rice
- Packed with essential vitamins and nutrients
- Great for sensitive stomachs and senior dogs.
- Individual meals are packaged fresh, so you will need a lot of freezer space to store them
- More expensive than most kibble options
Packed with quality red meats such as beef, lamb and pork, ACANA Red Meat reflects the carnivorous, whole-prey diet that your large breed dog was evolved to eat.
This food has zero grain and is gluten free but has plenty of meat and some vegetables for extra vitamins and nutrients.
- Deboned beef is the first ingredient.
- For fiber and minerals, green peas, pinto beans and lentils are included.
- The food includes glucosamine that will protect your dog’s joints.
- There are no artificial preservatives.
- No preservatives means a short shelf life. Eat it quick!
Present your dog with a delicious meal derived from natural science when you serve Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Chicken and Rice Formula adult dry dog food.
Real chicken is the very first ingredient in this blend.
What’s more it’s mixed with other top quality protein sources to aid in supporting your dog’s strong muscles plus a healthy heart.
- Chicken is the first ingredient.
- The food has many important nutrients such as glucosamine.
- The antioxidants are good for the immune system.
- There’s a lot of corn and chicken by-product meal in the ingredients.
Here’s the next best thing to taking your large breed dog to a steakhouse.
PEDIGREE Adult Complete Nutrition Grilled Steak and Vegetable Flavor Dog Food is prepared with whole grains for healthy digestion.
Made with real meat protein, this steak-flavored dry dog food is formulated to keep your adult dog healthy and satisfied.
This food is also designed with necessary nutrients and omega-6 fatty acids to promote both healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- It has antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to aid in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- The food has premium levels of omega-6 fatty acid to keep the dog’s coat shiny and healthy.
- Dogs like it.
- The crunchy texture helps to clean the teeth.
- Corn is the first ingredient.
- There are a lot of artificial colors and by-products.
DISH Beef & Brown Recipe from Rachael Ray Nutrish is formulated out of uncomplicated, all natural ingredients plus some additional vitamins and minerals.
Authentic U.S. farm bred beef is constantly the first listed ingredient. What’s more there are no soy, corn or wheat ingredients.
You will also learn that real pieces of slow roasted chicken, peas, carrots and apples have been added for a fulfilling flavor that your dog will love.
- Beef is the first ingredient.
- There are no grain fillers.
- The vegetables add vitamins.
- Dogs seem to like the taste.
- Most complaints were that it didn’t come in a bigger bag!
Each Taste of the Wild recipe is made up with special protein sources, authentic vegetables and fruits and first rate ingredients that offer whole nutrition in full flavors that will meet the wild taste your pet really wants.
Your dog shares DNA with the wolf. Your dog craves the wild meat his wild ancestors fest on.
- The food is low in carbs.
- It is a high protein food.
- The food is gluten free.
- There is nothing artificial.
- It’s a bit hard for some dogs to digest.
Formulated from ingredients of outstanding quality, Diamond Naturals delivers complete, holistic nutrition for your dog.
Each Diamond Naturals dry formula is intensified with superfoods and proven probiotics for premium nutrition and digestive support.
With salmon caught in the wild and absolutely no grains, this recipe is ideal for dogs that might have food-related skin sensitivities.
- Salmon is the first ingredient listed.
- It is grain free.
- There are lots of healthy fruits and vegetables to provide vitamins.
- Dogs seem to love it.
- It is easily digestable.
- It’s great for allergy prone dogs.
- Some people don’t like the strong fish odor.
Royal Canin Giant Adult dry dog food is formulated to help your dog maintain a radiant presence and lifestyle.
This giant-breed blend includes glucosamine, chondroitin, and EPA/DHA to aid in keeping bones and joints strong and healthy.
A one of a kind complex of antioxidants promotes cellular health. Heart-healthy nutrients like taurine aid in keeping those big hearts healthy.
- The food is easily digested.
- Dogs seem to like the taste.
- It supports proper joint health.
- The vitamins and antioxidants are very healthy.
- Chicken by-product meal is the first ingredient.
Active dogs are healthy dogs. And an active big dog is something extraordinary. They need specialized nutrition to be at their best.
Feed your spritely friend’s mind, body and energy with Eukanuba Adult Large Breed dry dog food.
Animal proteins, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate all aid in keeping those muscles lean and the joints both limber and strong.
- Lamb is the first listed ingredient.
- Dogs love the flavor.
- It contains to Omega fatty acids.
- The antioxidants strengthen the immune system.
- It contains chicken by-product meal.
Blue Buffalo was inspired by the diet of wolves, omnivores with outstanding endurance.
BLUE Wilderness is both grain-free and protein-rich food. It is filled with the succulent chicken your dog loves.
There are no grains in this food , only the finest of natural ingredients.
- Deboned salmon is the first ingredient.
- It is grain free.
- It comes in different sized packaging.
- Some dogs don’t like it.
Purina Pro Plan SAVOR Grain-Free Classic Turkey and Sweet Potato Entree adult wet dog food provides your dog with a meal option that is designed with top quality ingredients.
Real turkey is the primary ingredient in this grain-free dog food.
This canned dog food also made without artificial colors, flavors or preservatives to ensure that your pooch gets all the important nutrition you want without the ingredients that you don’t.
- Turkey is the first ingredient.
- Wet food is good for dogs who don’t drink enough.
- There is no corn, wheat or soy.
- There are plenty of vitamins and nutrients.
- It does contain some by-product.
- May cause gas in some dogs.
NUTRO MAX Large Breed Chicken meal is an all natural dog food that is uniquely formulated to conform to the nutritional requirements of your canine of size and satisfy their healthy appetite.
Made with farm bred chicken and additional vitamins and minerals, NUTRO MAX Food for Large Breed Dogs delivers a totally balanced nutrition with every bowl.
- Chicken meal is the first ingredient.
- There are no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- There are no chicken by-products in the ingredients.
- This is not for dogs with allergies or digestion problems.
Your adult dog needs to feel every bit as good as he or she looks.
Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach & Skin Adult Dog Food is distinctively prepared for superlative digestive health.
This dog food for sensitive stomachs utilizes prebiotic fiber to feed stomach bacteria and promote a balanced microbiome.
- This food is very easy to digest.
- It is made with high quality ingredients.
- This dry dog food keeps the skin and coat healthy
- There’s an awful lot of grains in this food.
IAMS ProActive Health Adult Dog Food for Large Dogs is recommended by vets and is made with authentic ingredients.
This particular recipe begins with farm bred chicken and comes with wholesome grains and vegetables.
It is created using glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate in order to ensure healthy joints.
- The first ingredient is chicken.
- The kibble bites are large.
- There are lots of healthy vitamins and fatty acids in this food.
- Alas, the chicken by-product meal.
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food, Chicken Recipe, is wholesome, natural dog food for adult dogs formulated from meticulously selected real ingredients for daily health and to offer a premium balance of whole.
Nutrient rich foods to meet the singular health needs of your dog, delivering nutritional support to the entire body to support complete health.
- Deboned chicken is the first ingredient.
- Glucosamine and chondroitin are good for the joints.
- Taurine is good for the heart.
- The fruits and vegetables in the recipe are rich in antioxidants.
- It’s low in fat.
- It’s a bit high in carbs.
Dogs and live best on high protein diets like the ones their wolf ancestors ate in the wild.
Crave’s protein rich recipes offer dogs all the energy they need to run, play and to help them maintain lean bodies.
It is all real animal protein with no soy or grains complete with quality vitamins and nutrients.
- Salmon is the first ingredient.
- There are no by-products.
- There are no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
- The added vitamin E gives dogs healthy skin.
- The high protein count can make some dogs a little gassy.
Best Dog Foods For English Mastiff Puppies
Suit your English Mastiff puppy’s requirements with Purina Pro Plan FOCUS Lamb & Rice Formula dry puppy food.
Real lamb as the number one ingredient aids in providing protein, one of the most important elements your puppy’s body needs.
DHA from fish oil also aids in the nourishment of his brain and vision development.
- Lamb is the first ingredient.
- It includes probiotics for better digestion.
- Omega fatty acids are included for skin and hair health.
- Glucosamine is also included.
- It has meat by-products.
- It also has corn, soy and wheat.
IAMS ProActive Health Smart Puppy Food is recommended by vets and made with authentic ingredients.
This recipe begins with farm bred chicken and comes with healthy grains and vegetables.
Also, these quality, easily digestible ingredients give your Mastiff puppy a strong immune system, healthy skin and fur, and strong bones.
- Chicken is the first ingredient.
- There is no wheat or soy.
- The flavors and preservatives are all natural.
- It includes corn and by-products.
Big dogs are in big need of love. Hill’s Science Diet Large Breed Puppy dry food is specifically made with a delectable chicken flavor and a prime level of calcium for controlled bone growth.
This is a singular developmental requirement of large breed puppies. Top quality protein aids your large dog in building and maintaining muscle.
- There are some good and healthy ingredients.
- Smaller kibbles make it easy for puppies to eat.
- The feeding instructions on the packages are based on the puppy’s weight, not just age.
- Whole grains are hard for puppies to digest.
There are vital developmental and physical variations that are related to a dog’s size.
These include such things as the length of puppyhood, development of muscles and bones, jaw size and digestive capacity.
This is why Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition is formulated about the individual requirements of your canine’s size.
- Made for intense growing while helping to control energy.
- The food has a balanced nutrition and energy intake.
- It is designed to accommodate a large breed puppy’s long period of growth.
- Chicken by-product meal is the first ingredient.
Formulated with ingredients of superlative quality, Diamond Naturals delivers whole nutrition that concentrates on all the health needs of every dog.
Every Diamond Naturals dry formula is amplified with superfoods and proven probiotics for maximum nutrition and digestive subsistence.
- Lamb is the first ingredient.
- The DHA is good for brain and eye development.
- There are plenty of fruits and vegetables as natural vitamin sources.
- It can cause gas in some dogs.
This perfectly balanced puppy food is made to fuel your growing buddy’s body, energy and mind.
Eukanuba Puppy Dry Dog Food is made with top quality animal based proteins and premium levels of calcium and phosphorus that aid in maintaining growth of muscles and bone health.
For a smarter, more trainable Mastiff puppy, it has high levels of DHA. The fat and carbs are optimized to provide energy for a growing puppy.
- The food is made with animal based proteins. Chicken is the first ingredient.
- The special fiber system with prebiotics promotes healthy digestion.
- It is infused with both Omega-3 and Omega-6 for a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- Pups seem to like the taste.
- Cornmeal is the second ingredient.
- Chicken by-product is the third.
Understanding A Mastiff’s Feeding Requirements
A Mastiff has much the same nutritional needs as any dog only more because he’s a giant breed dog. Alfie needs protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass.
Make sure your Mastiff gets itself a large dog due to lean muscle and not fat. You need “good fats” as a source of energy but not so much that he becomes obese.
Feeding Puppy Mastiffs
A word of warning: Mastiff puppies look like teddy bears but they don’t stay toy sized for very long.
To help little Alfie grow, your Mastiff puppy needs a diet that is 22% protein and 8% fat at a minimum.
A diet that is 25% to 30% protein and 12% to 15% fat is ideal.
Feeding Adult Mastiffs
Once your Mastiff has reached his adult size, it’s time to slow down on the fat. This way, he won’t keep growing sideways.
It’s time to switch over to the adult formula for large dogs that has 20% to 25% protein and around 8% to 10% fat.
Feeding Senior Mastiffs
You’ve had your old boy around for a long time and now he’s slowing down.
His metabolism has slowed down too, so it’s time to cut back on the calories and fat. Make sure he stays at a healthy weight.
People Also Liked: Should Senior Dogs Eat Wet Or Dry Food?
Special Dietary Concerns For Mastiffs
The famous English Mastiff Zorba lived to be thirteen, a decent age for a dog, particularly one with a breed that on average only lives eight to ten years.
Mastiffs tend to be prone to forms of dysplasia and stenosis that can decrease their life expectancy. They are also prone to heart trouble so having your Mastiff eat healthily is very important.
Gastric dilation or bloat is also something these gentle giants are prone to. Give your mastiff a calm eating environment so that he doesn’t eat too fast.
Some Necessary Ingredients To Look For When Purchasing Dog Food For Mastiff
As an English Mastiff owner, you can’t feed your adult canine just anything! Read the label carefully so that you will know what Alfie is eating.
Here are some things you want to look for in your Mastiff’s food.
Full grown Mastiffs thrive best on a high protein diet. This helps them to build lean and strong muscles.
The Source Of Proteins
It must be animal based protein in order to provide high quality amino acids. Protein from nuts or soy just will not do.
the first ingredient listed must be a specific type of meat.
Some fat is necessary so that your dog can have energy. Of course, they shouldn’t have so much they become obese.
The Source Of Fats
It is ideal that the fat is from healthy sources such as chicken fat or fish oil as these are “good” fats. They include necessary nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
Some people do not like the idea of feeding their Mastiff pup any sort of grains. If your dog has allergies this avoidance is a good idea. However, a few simple carbs can provide your dog with the energy he needs.
The Source Of Carbohydrates
Carbohydrate sources such as brown rice and oatmeal are acceptable choices due to these being minimally processed options. Avoid foods that use grains as a filler.
Fruits And Vegetables
This is a relatively small yet important part of your dog’s diet.
Fruits and vegetables are a good way to get vitamins, enzymes and minerals along with antioxidants in your dog’s diet.
Calcium and phosphorus will give Alfie strong bones. Glucosamine and chondroitin are good for his joints.
Taurine promotes a healthy heart.
Ingredients Your Mastiff Does not Need
There are some foods your Mastiff does not need at all. If your dog food has any of the following, it is of low quality.
If the first ingredient is soy, wheat or corn, throw it out! It’s not that they’re fundamentally unhealthy for giant breed pets like English Mastiff puppy. But they are very highly processed in order to cut back on costs and thus significantly lowers the total nutritional value of dry dog foods.
It’s sugar. Your giant breed puppy does not need sugar. It’s bad for his teeth, causes him to gain weight and it’s deadly for diabetic dogs.
It causes some dogs to act bizarrely so don’t give your dog any.
These are from various meat sources such as beef, chicken, turkey, fish and lamb. By-products are the internal remains of an animal rather than the muscle meat.
These ingredients are cheap but at the cost of being much less healthy than real meat.
Artificial Colors/ Flavors/ Preservatives
This is more for the human that buys the food than the dog that eats the food. Not only does your dog not need these but artificial additives can make Alfie very sick.
Keep your Mastiff’s food as natural as positive by avoiding anything with GMO’s.
English Mastiffs Dog Food Related FAQs
Here are a couple of questions you might have answered.
# Is Grain-free Dog Food Better For My Mastiff?
Most grain is just filler and is of no use to your dog, particularly if he has allergies.
If you do feed a dog with grain at least make sure it’s whole grains like oatmeal or brown rice.
Remember that for a Mastiff the best protein to fat ratio is at least 18% protein and somewhere between 5% and 15% for fat.
Popular Read: 39 Healthy Homemade Grain-Free Dog Food Recipes
# Is It Okay To Mix Wet Food And Dry Food For My Mastiff?
This is acceptable as long as both foods are high quality and conform to your pet’s nutritional needs.
Always keep your dog’s preferences and dietary needs into consideration.
Some dogs like this food combination best. It increases their water intake and helps them feel more satisfied.
Did You Find Your Best Dog Foods For English Mastiffs Today?
As I was looking for a best dog food that suits all ages of English Mastiffs, my winner is Hungry Bark’s Lamb And Turkey Superfoods as the best.
ACANA Dog Protein Rich, Real Meat, Grain Free, Adult Dry Dog Food is also very good. If your giant breed pup has a healthy appetite, this food should be used up well before it spoils so you’ll never miss the lack of preservatives.
In both cases, grain free really looks like the way to go with feeding big dogs. What are your experiences with feeding Mastiffs? Do you have any suggestions or inquiries?
Feel free to put them in the comment section below. Please share this article if you liked it.
Other Dog Food-Related Topics
1. Top 21 Best Dog Foods For Labradoodles
2. Best Dog Food For German Shepherd
3. Puppy Feeding Schedule: The Ultimate Guide
4. Best Dog Food For American Bully
5. Best Dog Food For Great Danes
6. Best Dog Food For Large Breeds
7. Best Tasting Dog Foods For Picky Eaters
8. Can Dogs Eat Every Type Of Radishes?
9. Can Dogs Eat Chickpeas?
10. Can Dogs Eat Green And Black Beans?
We have partnered with HungryBark.com to offer the best deal on high quality dog food to our readers. If you click on the button below, we will take you to their exclusive discount page.