If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what is the best dog food for Pomeranians? Then we recommend the Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe as the best one.
If you’ve recently bought your little ball of fluff home, you’re probably feeling a little anxious about the best way to feed your new pet.
With so many different options available, it can be overwhelming… but put your fears aside and read on to discover the best dog food for Pomeranians.
In this article, we’re going to review the following Pomeranians Dog Foods:
- Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- Solid Gold – Wee Bit With Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food – Potato & Duck Formula
- Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken
- Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed
- Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food
- Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Dog Food
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry Dog Food (Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe)
- Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe
Best Dog Foods for Pomeranians
#1 Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food
Royal Canin is a premium brand, known for its high quality, breed-specific products.
Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food is specially formulated to meet the nutritional needs of extra-small breeds. Such as the Pomeranian, making it an excellent choice for anyone concerned about catering to their pooch’s exact requirements.
- Boosts skin and coat health with EPA And DHA Fatty Acids
- Formulated with extra small kibble to meet the precise requirements of a Poms tiny teeth and jaws.
- Contains highly digestible proteins and a blend of fibers to improve colonic health
- Highly palatable to encourage the appetite of fussy eaters
- Contains the optimal amount of protein to maintain healthy muscle tone
- Contains calcium chelators to reduce tartar formation
- Specially formulated to meet the calorie needs of toy and miniature breeds between 10 months and 8 years old that weigh up to 8 lbs.
- Enriched with essential vitamins and minerals.
- The high grain content (rice and corn make up the top two ingredients) makes this unsuitable for dogs that struggle to digest gluten, or who suffer food allergies
- Royal Canin is a premium brand and comes at a high price
- Contains chicken by-product (the “left-overs” of food).
#2 Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
Blue Buffalo products offer high-quality ingredients handpicked for their nutritional content. All their products contain real meat (no animal by-products of any kind).
The range offers optimal nutrition to support a healthy lifestyle at all stages of a dog’s life.
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Small Breed Dry Dog Food is specially designed to help support the special needs of smaller dogs.
- No corn, wheat, or soy
- Packed with protein and carbohydrates to meet the high energy needs of smaller breeds
- No artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains an exclusive blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals selected by veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune health and oxidative balance
- Supports skin and coat health with Omega-3 fatty acids
- All Blue Buffalo products are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.
- Despite being free from corn, wheat and soy, the formula does contain brown rice and barley. While these are two of the most easily digestible grains, they may prove challenging for particularly sensitive Poms.
#3 Solid Gold – Wee Bit with Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley
Winners of the Whole Foods Magazine Natural Choice Award for dog food in 2014, Solid Gold is celebrated for its holistic line of high-quality formulas.
Solid Gold – Wee Bit With Real Bison, Brown Rice & Pearled Barley is specially crafted for small breeds of all life stages, including puppies and seniors.
- Formulated with one of the smallest kibble sizes on the market, which makes for easy chewing for toy and small breeds
- Packed with iron-rich protein, along with brown rice and pearled barley to support healthy digestion
- Formulated with patented probiotics to support digestive and gut health
- Features balanced levels of protein, fat and fiber that are specifically tailored to the needs of small breeds
- Suitable for all life stages, from puppy to senior
- Contains a blend of 20 superfoods to provide optimal levels of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber to support immune function, digestion and improve overall wellbeing
- Provides the optimal level of Omega 3 to encourage a healthy coat, improve immune and cardiovascular health, and support overall wellbeing.
- Although the primary ingredients are fish and meat, the formula does contain brown rice, which may aggravate dogs with grain sensitivities
#4 Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Food – Potato & Duck Formula
Considered one of the leading manufactures of pet food, Natural Balance specializes in producing a wide variety of high-quality formulas designed to meet the nutritional needs of dogs of all ages, sizes and conditions.
Their Limited Ingredient range aims to reduce the number of allergens your pet is exposed to, and is available in a small breed formula to suit tiny pooches.
- Made with only a select few ingredients to reduce the risk of allergies
- Packed with easily digestible protein to suit the specific needs of small breeds
- Rich in potatoes, a highly digestible, fibrous carbohydrate that provides a great, grain- free source of energy
- Provides complete, balanced nutrition for all life stages, from puppies to seniors
- Fortified with essential nutrients, like niacin, vitamin A, beta-carotene, and biotin to maintain optimal health
- Free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives
- The size, shape and texture of the kibble has been specially formulated to maintain excellent dental health in small breeds
- Supports healthy skin and a shiny coat with balanced Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids
- Grain- free to suit the needs of even highly sensitive tummies
- Quality controlled: Natural Balance products are thoroughly tested for contaminants through the company’s Buy With Confidence programs.
- Contains Canola Oil: vegetable oils are considered inferior to animal fats, and have been linked to inflammation
- While rare, some dogs can experience allergic reactions to chicken
#5 Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Puppies have higher calorie, protein and fat demands than adult dogs.
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Natural Puppy Small Breed Dry Dog Food is specially formulated to cater to your pup’s specific requirements.
- Packed with chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal to support your pup’s high protein needs, develop strong muscles and promote lean body mass
- Grain and gluten free for dogs that don’t do well on grain-based diets
- Formulated with an expert blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, hand selected by animal nutritionists and holistic veterinarians to support a healthy immune system
- No hidden “fillers”: the recipe is free from corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors and preservatives
- Contains DHA and ARA (important fatty acids found in mother’s milk), along with Choline, to support cognitive function and retinal health
- Rich in fiber (sources include carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, kelp and apples) to support good digestion and gut health
- Balanced Omega-3 & Omega-6 Fatty Acids for healthy skin, a silky coat and good heart health.
- Chicken can very occasionally be an allergen to dogs. Although most puppies will have no reaction, monitor yours carefully. If they display any symptoms of an allergy (poor skin or coat condition, bowel problems, etc.), consider changing to a chicken-free solution
#6 Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed
Pet food manufacturer, Wellness, are considered a pioneer in holistic canine nutrition.
Famed for their high quality, impeccably sourced ingredients, Wellness formulas contain only whole foods, and are free from corn, wheat, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Small Breed is a great option for pet owners seeking a grain free, low carb kibble.
- 100% Grain Free for dogs who suffer adverse reactions to gluten
- Specially formulated with the optimum calorie levels to support the high energy demands of small breeds
- Contains only premium, wholesome ingredients
- Free from wheat, corn, soy, by-products, artificial colors, flavors and preservatives
- Rich source of antioxidants, Omega 3 Fatty Acids and probiotics to support gut health, a healthy coat, and overall health
- High in Protein (deboned turkey, turkey meal and chicken meal are the top three ingredients) to support lean muscle mass, along with bone and organ health
- Formulated with active probiotics and prebiotics to support a healthy intestinal tract and overall digestive health
- Features smaller kibble size specially designed for small breed dogs
- Packed with potatoes, a highly digestible, fibrous carbohydrate that provide a great energy source.
- The third highest ingredient in the recipe is chicken, which poses a small allergen risk to susceptible dogs.
#7 Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food
Hill’s Science Diet Adult Sensitive Stomach & Skin Dog Food (Small & Toy Formula) helps support the specific nutritional needs of dogs with food or skin sensitivities.
Hill’s Science are a high quality, internationally recognized brand that carries the seal of vet approval.
Their formulas are recognized as some of the most consistent and high quality on the market, and are widely available in breed specific formulas.
- Packed with protein to support the high energy demands of small breeds
- Contains Prebiotic fiber from beet pulp for improved digestive health and regular bowl movements
- Includes a clinically proven antioxidant blend with vitamins C And E, both of which are highly beneficial to a healthy immune system
- Offers balanced nutrition to support sensitive digestive systems
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Contains Omega-6 Fatty Acids, vitamin E and other nutrients to promote healthy skin, a silky coat and reduce the incidence of demagogical problems
- Formulated with kibble designed to perfectly accommodate a Poms smaller mouth
- Fortified with an expert blend of vitamins and minerals.
- Grains, such as Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Sorghum, Cracked Pearled Barley and Brown Rice, feature heavily on the ingredients list. In sensitive dogs, grains can trigger digestive issues such as IBS, skin allergies, or fatigue.
#8 Eukanuba Adult Maintenance Dog Food
Eukanuba is ranked as one of the top pet manufactures, with a long history of producing reliable, high quality products.
Eukanuba Adult Dry Dog Food Chicken – Small Bite is specially formulated to cater to the specific needs of small breeds.
- Packed with high-quality, animal-based protein to promote lean muscle mass
- Formulated with calcium to support strong bones
- Features small kibble specially designed for a small breed’s tiny teeth and jaws
- Supports digestive health and nutrient absorption with natural Beet pulp and Prebiotic Fos (a rich source of fiber)
- Contains naturally sourced Glucosamine and Chondroitin to maintain and support healthy joints
- Omega-6 and -3 Fatty acids for a shiny coat, healthy skin, improved immunity and excellent cardiovascular health
- No artificial colors, preservatives or flavor
- For dogs that fear the dentist, the patented tartar control formula will help maintain healthy teeth and gums
- Includes a complete, balanced vitamin and mineral profile.
- Corn, wheat and other grain products all feature highly on the ingredients list. If your dog struggles to digest gluten, or has a food allergy, this may not be the best option
- Contains chicken by-product
#9 Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry Dog Food
(Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato Recipe)
Nutro specialize in producing wholesome, high-quality formulas designed to meet the nutritional needs of dogs of all ages, sizes and conditions.
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food for Small & Toy Breeds is specially formulated to meet the high energy requirements and specific dietary needs of small and toy breeds.
- Excellent source of protein (chicken is listed as the number 1 ingredient) to support lean muscle mass
- Offers tailored nutrition to meet the unique needs of small breeds
- Specially formulated kibble designed to suit the tiny mouths of smaller breeds
- Contains Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids to maintain healthy skin and a lustrous coat
- Includes a blend of 15 Superfoods, including coconut, chia, kale, blueberries, cranberries and pomegranate, to provide exceptional immune support
- No chicken by-product, corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Made with Non- GMO ingredients
- Rich in sweet potatoes, a healthy source of carbohydrate and fiber
- Provides a carefully combined ratio of proteins, fats, carbs, vitamins and minerals to ensure the perfect balance of nutrients.
- The recipe includes both oatmeal and brown rice. Although these are two of the most easily digestible grains, pets with a pre-disposition to digestive issues (IBS, leaky gut and bowel problems) may benefit from a 100% grain and gluten free diet.
#10 Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe
Specially designed to meet the unique requirements of small breeds, this is a great option for anyone looking to keep their Pom on a grain free diet.
Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe promises grain-free nutrition with no gluten for easy digestion, along with a high protein recipe to promote lean body mass and optimal health.
- 100% grain free for dogs who struggle to digest corn, wheat, or gluten
- Crunchy kibble to support tooth and gum health
- Pea sized kibble to prevent choking risk in smaller breeds
- Poultry-free recipe for dogs with poultry allergies
- Includes Omega Fatty Acids for optimal skin and coat condition
- The formula ranks real deboned beef and lamb meal as the primary ingredients, making it a source of “complete” protein
- Formulated with pure, wholesome ingredients, with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Includes fresh fruits and vegetables like sweet potatoes, blueberries and peas to provide a rich source of fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Contains supplementary probiotics and prebiotics to help support nutrient absorption, along with glucosamine and chondroitin to maintain joint function.
- The formula was adjusted in 2018, which may displease dogs that react negatively to change
Nutritional Recommendations for the Pomeranian Diet
Poms may be tiny, but their nutritional needs are no small matter. Poms, like most small breeds, exert a massive amount of energy and finding a diet that properly suits their high-calorie demands is vital.
Just as crucial as providing the proper quantity of calories is ensuring a proper blend of protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
Fortunately, most commercial pet foods are nutritionally balanced to ensure the optimal mix of nutrients, but if you’d like to find out more
Popular Read: What Are The Best Water Bowls For Small Dog?
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) recommends a minimum of 22 percent protein for puppies and 18 percent protein for adult dogs.
Dogs prefer their protein from animal sources: not only do vegetable sources tend to be hard to digest, but they lack the full quota of essential amino acids needed to make a “complete” protein.
Meat, fish, eggs and poultry make the best protein choices.
Don’t overlook the importance of fat in your Poms diet. According to AAFCO guidelines, fat should be 8 percent of the daily calorie intake for puppies and 5 percent for adult dogs.
Fat is essential in maintaining a silky coat and good skin, while also providing a concentrated source of energy. Look for fats from healthy animal sources like beef, lamb and oily fish.
There is no minimum requirement for carbohydrates in a Poms diet, but this doesn’t mean it should be overlooked. Dogs may love meat, but try to balance out their diet with some healthy carbs from fruit and vegetables.
These will provide a great source of energy, improve digestion, and provide a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals. See for more at petmd.com
Although not a critical part of a Poms diet, fiber has a myriad of benefits, from regulating bowel movements by alleviating constipation and diarrhea to helping your dog feel full for longer on lower calories (thus making it ideal for plump Poms).
Fiber can be incorporated into your pet’s diet via over- the- counter fiber supplements or by adding plenty of vegetables and fruits to their bowl.
For more fiber benefits, see at dogingtonpost.com
Check: Health Benefits Of Radishes To Your Dog
A healthy quantity of vitamins in your dog’s diet is key to protecting them against infections, poor energy and a lackluster coat.
Most commercially available dog foods are adequality fortified with all the vitamins your dog needs.
If you choose to make your own dog food, you may need to supplement. However, as this is easier said than done, make sure to consult your vet before you start.
Minerals are a vital part of your dog’s diet. The key minerals to look for are:
- Calcium (for bone development and nerve function);
- Cobalt (for hemoglobulin production),
- Phosphorus (for bone health)
- Potassium (for nerve transmission)
- Sodium (for nutrient absorption)
- and Choline (for proper function of the nervous system).
Most commercial dog foods are fortified to ensure proper levels of minerals. If you need to supplement, a good list of options is available.
Water is the most important nutrient in a dog’s diet.
It’s essential to pretty much every bodily function, including regulating bodily temperature; lubricating the eyes, nose, mouth, lungs, and joints; helping digestion, transporting nutrients around the body; flushing out waste, and more besides.
Make sure your dog always has access to fresh water. More on the benefits of water can be seen at dogster.com
Choosing the Best Food for Your Pet
Walk into any pet store and you’ll be confronted by aisle upon aisle of food. With so many different products and formulas, it can be hard to know where to start.
However, it’s easy to narrow down the options by remembering just a few key considerations. Let’s take a look at how you can decide on the best food for your Pom.
Learn: 18 Tips To Choose The Right Dog Food?
Brand is an important indication of quality, but don’t be swayed by a brand name just because you’ve seen it advertised on TV. Research the brand’s credentials before you make your final decision.
Dogfoodadvisor is a great place to check out brand reputation, and it’s always worth having a chat with your vet about who they’d recommend.
To ensure you give your Pom a complete, balanced diet, you need to make sure their food includes a good mix of proteins, carbs, and fats.
The perfect balance of nutrients for an adult dog will be a minimum of 18% protein and 5% fat. The rest should come from healthy carbohydrates.
More info on nutritional ratios can be found at AAFCO.com
Manufacturers are legally obliged to list ingredients in order of dominance. The first 3 ingredients are the most important. For optimal health, look for a formula that ranks an animal protein (meat, fish, or poultry) within the top three ingredients.
If corn, wheat, rice or, soybean meal make up the top three items, it means the formula is vegetable-based and is best avoided. See for more.
Special Considerations for Feeding Pomeranians
Poms should be fed high-quality food, packed with protein and with as few fillers as possible. As you probably know, poms are full of vigor and need a lot of calories to meet their energy demands.
They are also are prone to digestive issues, and can easily lose weight if they are unable to absorb the nutrients in their food. It’s therefore vital that the food you choose is high quality and easily digestible.
Poms use a lot of energy, so a high-calorie food is a must.
As they have only small tums, look for a food with a high number of calories per gram- low-calorie foods will fill them up before their energy needs are met.
The average adult Pom will need around 40 calories per day per pound of body weight, but this can vary by about 20% according to weight, age, activity levels, and general health.
People Also Liked: What Are The Nutritional Requirements For Your Shih-Tzu?
A high-quality dry food will provide all the nutrients your Pom needs to stay healthy. A key advantage of kibble is that it can be left out all day; unlike larger dogs that are happy on one meal a day, Poms benefit from “free feeding” (the practice of being able to eat whenever they want).
Being able to go back and forth to the feed bowl reduces a Poms chance of becoming hypoglycemic (a blood sugar problem that’s common in dogs that aren’t fed sufficiently frequently).
More info can be found at pomeranian.org
Poms are a small breed with tiny mouths.
If you choose to feed your pet dry food, make sure it’s specially formulated for small breeds, with little pieces of kibble they can easily chew and swallow.
Larger pieces of kibble can present a choking hazard, and turn your pom off eating altogether. Luckily, most commercial brands offer formulas specially designed to meet the needs of small breeds.
Easy to Digest
Just as Poms are delicate and small, so too are their digestive systems. It’s therefore vital you choose a food that’s easy to digest.
Look for products with minimal grains (which can be hard on the gut), and with plenty of easily digestible carbs like sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, spinach, and carrots.
Meats like fish and chicken are easy on the system, but avoid corn, which is known to cause inflammation, and stay away from filler ingredients that can trigger digestive problems.
Dry vs Wet Food
Poms have a tendency towards digestive issues, so it’s generally recommended to stick to dry formula, rather than wet. A diet consisting of 100% wet food can lead to diarrhea, and can also make your Pom prone to dental health problems.
If your Pom turns his back on kibble, try making it more appealing with the addition of a small amount of wet food or some warmed chicken stock.
Read To Learn: What Is Better Wet Dog Food Or Dry?
FAQs: Pomeranian Diet
# How Much Food Does a Pomeranian Need?
Actual calorie requirements vary according to your Poms weight, age, activity level, and general health.
Depending on your Poms condition, calorie requirements can fluctuate by around 20% in either direction.
# Calorie Requirements for a Puppy
The average calorie requirement for growing puppies is 55 calories per pound of body weight (but remember, this can vary according to your individual pup’s energy expenditure, weight, etc.).
Read To Learn: What Dog Food Has The Most Calories?
# Calorie Requirements for an Adult dog
The average adult Pom will need around 40 calories per day per pound of body weight (with a 20% variance depending on your Poms general condition).
# Are Pomeranian Puppies Picky Eaters?
Pomeranians can be picky eaters.
Avoid bad eating habits by resisting the urge to feed them table scraps – your Pom may develop a taste for the flavorsome treats and ignore its own food completely. If your Pom is a fussy eater, check out for some useful advice.
# Which Type of Food Should I Give a Pomeranian?
Some of the best foods for Poms include:
- Organs such as brains, kidneys, and liver
- Sweet or regular potatoes, spinach, baby carrots, zucchini, and broccoli
- White or brown rice
# When Should a Puppy Start Eating Adult Dog Food?
Pomeranians hit maturity at the one-year mark. However, as advised by petpom.com, consider switching from puppy to adult food at 9-10 months.
By this point, their growth will have tailed off, and they will no longer need the extra calories present in puppy food.
# What Can I Give My Pomeranian As a Treat?
Never overtreat your dog, but if you can’t resist the odd indulgence, stick to healthy snacks such as slices of vegetables or fruit, or specially formulated dry snacks.
Avoid Rawhide (which can be hazardous to small breeds), chocolate, and anything hard like bones, antlers, or hooves.
# When Can My Puppy Start Eating Dry Foods?
Poms have a hard time chewing even the tiniest sized kibble before 10 weeks of age. After this, you can try introducing them to dry food specifically formulated for pups.
However, all pups are different, so monitor yours closely; if they struggle with dry food, hold back for a few more weeks.
We’ve looked at what you should (and shouldn’t) feed your Pom to keep it in the best health possible. But of all the options we’ve looked at, which is the Number 1 dog food for your Pomeranian?
I’d put my money on Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe.
The absence of any known allergens puts it ahead of the pack, while it’s specially formulated kibble will ensure easy eating for your pet. Why not see if your Pom agrees?
Other Dog Food-Related Topics
1. Puppy Feeding Schedule: The Ultimate Guide
2. Best Dog Food Brands For Small Breeds: Dry & Canned
3. Best Tasting Dog Foods For Picky Eaters
4. How To Choose The Right Food For Your Dog?
5. 20 Best Dog Food For Chihuahuas
6. Best Dog Food For Beagles
7. Best Dog Foods For Maltese Puppy & Adults With Tear Stains
8. Best Dog Foods For Maltipoo
10. Best Dog Food For Dachshunds
11. Is Your Puppy Ready For Adult Dog Food?
We have partnered with HungryBark.com to offer the best deal on high quality dog food to our readers. If you click on the button below, we will take you to their exclusive discount page.